OEM or Not? -IPR/IPC

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I’m coming along in understanding how the 7.3 PSD works I believe I should replace the IPR and IPC preemptive to having a dead on roadside occurrence.
Two questions about doing this:
1- do these need motor craft brand replacements, or can I get by with aftermarket?
2- are all 7.3 IPR/IPC the same, or is my OBS 1997 different parts than the super duty?

thanks for the valuable input.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What most of us will tell you is Motorcraft/IH electronics ONLY!!!!! The PSD's do not like aftermarket electronics. When I did the ICP on my 6.0, it came from the Ford dealer around the corner. You might have luck with the aftermarket stuff, maybe not. I try and stick with Motorcraft on my stuff when it comes to the engine. Even my gassers when it's available, I use Motorcraft.

OBS/SD differences, I don't know. So far, I've not had a 7.3 PSD... I had a few 7.3 IDI's and still have my 6.0.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
in my experiance I prefer motorcraft the ipr is differnt from 7.3 to 6.0
and according to the listing the icp is 7.3 /6,0 specific

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I’m coming along in understanding how the 7.3 PSD works I believe I should replace the IPR and IPC preemptive to having a dead on roadside occurrence.
Two questions about doing this:
1- do these need motor craft brand replacements, or can I get by with aftermarket?
2- are all 7.3 IPR/IPC the same, or is my OBS 1997 different parts than the super duty?

thanks for the valuable input.

IPR could leave you stranded, ICP sensor no...if it fails completely the PCM will just default to a given reading and you'd be able to still drive.

If it bothers you that much, I'd get a spare IPR and put it in the glove box along with your spare CPS...you do have the tools to change them on the fly right?

IPR is interchangeable between OBS and SD trucks, CPS the pigtail connection might be different.

I've never replaced parts "pro-actively" but to each his own.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IPR could leave you stranded, ICP sensor no...if it fails completely the PCM will just default to a given reading and you'd be able to still drive.

If it bothers you that much, I'd get a spare IPR and put it in the glove box along with your spare CPS...you do have the tools to change them on the fly right?

IPR is interchangeable between OBS and SD trucks, CPS the pigtail connection might be different.

I've never replaced parts "pro-actively" but to each his own.
It’s not really proactive. I think it’s the reason it stalled out 2 weeks ago. Gotta get the old scanner out and look see if I have a code for something else. I read the IPR leaves no codes.?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not that I've seen. But if you watch the live data, it may show up as 0 duty cycle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86