OBS F-Super Duty Trailer Hitch

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey All! I just landed a 1994 F-Super Duty with a 7.3idi. I am looking into picking up a trailer hitch setup but the only one that I have come up with is Curt's Class 4 hitch. Anyone have any idea where I can get at least a class 5? What does everyone use for a hitch setup on their 450+ trucks?

ZoomerHD05

Reaction score
Those models only came as a chassis/cab and don't have the rear frame design to mount a standard hitch. The best solution is a plate mount hitch from Buyers Products. They bolt directly to the ends of the frame amd will need holes drilled. You can get then with a 2" or 2-1/2" receiver or a pintle hitch.

Attachments

• 20230411_162420.jpg
    20230411_162420.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 8

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The 34" nominal frame width may lend itself to recycling a newer 450/550 hitch, or one from a gm cab & chassis.

ISPKI

Reaction score
So this truck actually had an extremely heavy rear bumper that is effectively a 3/4" wall steel rectangle with a hinging lid and gusseted bottom for extra strength. Inside is a folding 1ton crane with electric 6000lbs winch and 50ft of cable.

I removed the crane assembly as I wont really be using it. cleaned up the inside and replaced some rusty metal. The bottom plate is now also 3/4" thick fresh steel with a 4' wide "deck" underneath it, 4 welded vertical gussets sandwiching a welded receiver tube. Receiver tube is welded all around, top bottom and rear. To the rear of the "bumper" I welded a 1/2" thick spacer plate with a 6" C-Beam welded vertically to the spacer with capture rails welded to the beam. there are 4 x 3/4" bolt holes drilled thru the stack of beam, plate, and bumper, ~1.75" thick steel mating surface.

Rear of the frame has 1" thick steel drop plates welded all around with the matching 3/4" bolt holes. A 3/8" x 32" triangular gusset plate is then welded from bottom of the drop plate to the underside of the frame that extends up to the rear most leaf spring hangar.

All in all, the rear bumper scaled in around 860lbs. I will have to get some pictures up of it, theres a couple welds I havent finished on it that I should be able to finish up in about a month when my surgery is healed 100%.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Heres some shots of the project..

You must be registered for see images attach