NOOOOO!!!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take a punch and hammer a indention between the pump and housing, now take the inspection cover off the front of the motor (the little one with two bolts) you should see 3 bolts and a dowl pin, the bolts are 8mm or 5/16 12pt socket, take them out, then take the three 9/16th nuts holding the pump, push back twist fight it a little and it will come out, DONT REMOVE THE GEAR COVER! and you wont loose your timing, then putting the pump back on is a reverse procedeure, and line the puch marks back up and its timed to were you took off from

I guess it actually doesn't really matter if I lose my timing if I get the bottom end from Blackdog/Cetane. I will have to assemble that block and time it anyway. Ugh, more work..

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I guess it actually doesn't really matter if I lose my timing if I get the bottom end from Blackdog/Cetane. I will have to assemble that block and time it anyway. Ugh, more work..

Its not that bad, your already threw the hard part. pulling the engine is the hard part, building one is easy, try pulling the heads sometime with the engine in the truck, and dont use a lift:D i was sore for days!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was expecting the head to be a little heavier, but it would definitely SUCK to lift one out of a truck.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I well, are 7.3 heads and 6.9 heads intechangeable? I didn't think they were...

IF they are, our block that sucked a valve in the corner, we could probably let go w/o heads.. that one is more his, so he can make that decision. If you had cahs burning a hole in your pocket, I would let you have my Purrrrrrrrrrrrfect 6.9 for a fee... :D

Bolt on your flexplate torque converter, turbo and go, take back your head set. But I would have to have that ASAP, as the wife wants to road trip in the Cent in right at a month, and it isn't even a diesel yet.

IF I sell the 6.9, Then I am committed to the 401, which means money fixing it, figuring trans... etc.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are. I don't know what I was thinking...

I well, are 7.3 heads and 6.9 heads intechangeable? I didn't think they were...

IF they are, our block that sucked a valve in the corner, we could probably let go w/o heads.. that one is more his, so he can make that decision. If you had cahs burning a hole in your pocket, I would let you have my Purrrrrrrrrrrrfect 6.9 for a fee... :D

Bolt on your flexplate torque converter, turbo and go, take back your head set. But I would have to have that ASAP, as the wife wants to road trip in the Cent in right at a month, and it isn't even a diesel yet.

IF I sell the 6.9, Then I am committed to the 401, which means money fixing it, figuring trans... etc.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9/7.3 heads don't interchange without some heavy redneck engineering. If your heads don't leak/aren't warped just use them. I would verify this at a machine shop, pressure check, magnaflux. Not cheap but worth it for peace of mind. Also check the valves as best you can, wouldn't want your new block to swallow a loose exhaust valve you know. Forget your timing, it's going to be different with the different block. Line up the static timing marks and if possible get it to a member who has tools or a trusted shop.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was expecting the head to be a little heavier, but it would definitely SUCK to lift one out of a truck.

I too did it in my 20's. I wouldn't want to have to do it now that I'm spoiled with a hoist.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
they interchange, i know of a member on another site that had 6.9 heads on his 7.3, you got to drill the headbolts out

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blackdog / Cetane:

When would you be able to make it down? I will have the cash by the 1st of July...

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which motor? un assembled or assembled, or Purrrfect....($750 as a runner, plug and play.....)? Plan on the first for delivery.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that is tempting! That would be what, about $950 total? Think I will have to go with the assembled,tested, $500 with new head gaskets(?). Pretty low on cash... Man, only $250 more for your complete engine. I would definitely jump on that if I had the extra cash.

Did you want me to send you the gas money ahead of time?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I just have to figure out how to get it into my Paypal. I no longer use the bank account that I have registered with them.. Assuming you accept Paypal.