Non Tilt Steering Column

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ignition cylinder in my truck was getting to be very hard to turn when it’s cold outside. It is a non-tilt column. I’ve read up on it and I knew I was looking at replacing the ignition actuator rod or at least lubing it. I pulled the steering wheel and it was completely different than the tilt column I’ve worked on. I pulled the signal switch, lock cylinder, snap ring, and retaining nuts. The upper part of the column is now loose but I can’t pull the rack from the spur gear that sits at the end of the ignition cylinder. I can move it out several inches but it catches before the rack clears the gear. I would like to completely disasemble and clean/lube the actuator. This is where I’m stuck currently. Can anyone shed light on this? It seems tilt columns are much more common and are covered online more.

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tilt columns have more problems than your type, which is why they are covered more. All I have ever done was replace the ignition switch and sprayed wd40 in and around the upper part of the column, and that always fixed the stiff when cold problem. The lube Ford put in there gets so old it gets sticky and gummy and then cold weather doesn't help the situation.

You may also find some of your electrical doesn't work when you have the sticky problem, the ignition switch and the linkage doesn't always return to the correct position. A light wiggle of the key have you start the truck wil usually fix this until you get the assemly lubed up and put a new switch in place.

My1500DollarTruck

Reaction score
I swapped out my tilt auto steering column on my 92 f250. I watched as many youtube videos on disassembly and cleaning, reassembly I could find. Did a time versus cost , I bought one from this seller on Ebay. The link is for your column I believe. Mine was cleaned lubed and in perfect working order with Motorcraft ignition switch and key. Its was a straight swap out ..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F250-...3:g:2poAAOSwy4hUUbDI:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true