No title free truck worth it?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Kansas also only looks at the VIN on the dash so no issues there.
When I bought my Blue Truck in 2013, it had a Washington State title. A Sheriff's Deputy had to stop by my house to do a VIN check. All he did was to look at the sticker on the door and the title to make sure that the two VINs matched.
I think that if you do a body swap, it will still be registered as the vehicle that the cab came from so it will still be registered, taxed, and insured as a 1995. As for the core support, I believe that they were different between the two body styles so you would probably need a core support from a OBS truck.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
She moved to Kansas from Nevada. Basically the 2 states have contradicting regs to get the title. It's been an almost 9 month fight that she is giving up on.

The cab is pretty rough and not worth saving.

Kansas does not do yearly inspections so once a vehicle is registered it never gets inspected again. Kansas also only looks at the VIN on the dash so no issues there. I've done a cab swap before on a chevy (83 half ton on an 81one ton dually frame)

The 95 cab is tagged and registered in Kansas in my name so as far as Kansas is concerned it's still the truck they think it is.

To do a cab swap will be a lot of work and will likely end up in a lot of wiring headaches.(But can be done.) Having two old trucks is better than one. Maybe think about finding a IDI with a dead motor and swapping engine and perhaps tranny.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Nevada and I've done a lot of title work in the past let me see if I can give you an understanding what it would take to get a title. Fitness in her name without liens then she can do an application for duplicate title and a bill of sale to you the duplicate title has to be notarized the bill of sale doesn't you can get both off the Nevada DMV website. The only thing about a duplicate title is then you have to send it in to the Nevada DMV and pay it the fee for the title you can have it transferred directly into your name. There is no transfer tax in Nevada the title can be sent to your address in your state. That will bypass you having to pay transfer tax in your state. If you go that route to cover your bases should they require it just have a cop do a VIN inspection and that form should also be on the Nevada website. And of course also send a copy of your driver's license so that way they know what driver's license to assign the title to. If there is a lien holder then it's a whole different can of worms if there is an outstanding debt. If the lien was previously satisfied then sending a request for a lien release from her to the lien holder would get that part squared away

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really know much about the legal end of this however can offer some insight on the mechanical aspect. The 89 brick nose diesel has a completely different dash, wiring harness, and core support. Sheet metal wise, swapping the 95 cab onto the 89 chassis will require a diesel core support. This could best be accomplished by swapping the entire front clip from the 89 onto the 95 cab. This will give you the diesel core support underhood wiring harness and dual battery boxes missing on the 95 gasser. Another issue will be the 95 dash and wiring which includes an electrical speedo which is not compatible with the mechanically driven speedo in the 89. Swapping in the brick dash and steering column into the 95 cab is probably the best solution however it's more than a bolt in swap. I think member idiot has done this and created a thread describing it.

PreferedDog

Reaction score
I don't really know much about the legal end of this however can offer some insight on the mechanical aspect. The 89 brick nose diesel has a completely different dash, wiring harness, and core support. Sheet metal wise, swapping the 95 cab onto the 89 chassis will require a diesel core support. This could best be accomplished by swapping the entire front clip from the 89 onto the 95 cab. This will give you the diesel core support underhood wiring harness and dual battery boxes missing on the 95 gasser. Another issue will be the 95 dash and wiring which includes an electrical speedo which is not compatible with the mechanically driven speedo in the 89. Swapping in the brick dash and steering column into the 95 cab is probably the best solution however it's more than a bolt in swap. I think member idiot has done this and created a thread describing it.
As far as wiring to get the gauges to work I can manage that. The speedo I knew wouldn't be compatible but I figured I could use speedo app on my phone. Also i think i read somewhere that the 92 and up speed sensor was in the rear-end? If so i could eventually get a 3/4 ton rear end out of a 92-97 truck that has the speed sensor and maybe get that working. I've done a bit of research and I'm pretty sure I can get the diesel running using the gasser wiring harness. Or it at least seems possible. All the wiring and dash is pretty beat up and cobbled together as far as I can tell on the 89 so I'm really leaning away from trying to reuse much of anything off of the 89.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If you can not find a dead IDI even if you found a 3-5K IDI diesel truck that say did run, you could keep the other truck for parts. If no where to store three trucks then pull the key parts like the engine, tranny, radiator, driveshafts, axles, dash, etc. Maybe part out some stuff you do not want to make a couple of bucks. (Seats, doors, A/C, lights, bumpers, etc.) Then if your new diesel truck blows an engine or needs a tranny you just happen to have one in stock!

PreferedDog

Reaction score
If you can not find a dead IDI even if you found a 3-5K IDI diesel truck that say did run, you could keep the other truck for parts. If no where to store three trucks then pull the key parts like the engine, tranny, radiator, driveshafts, axles, dash, etc. Maybe part out some stuff you do not want to make a couple of bucks. (Seats, doors, A/C, lights, bumpers, etc.) Then if your new diesel truck blows an engine or needs a tranny you just happen to have one in stock!
The only problem with this idea is money. I'm on very limited funds unfortunately. My 95 f150 was give to me after being wrecked and I put about $200 into fixing the front end. With no money I have learned how to build what I want for cheaper than I can buy it. I wish I could find one needing an engine but these truck are pretty rare around me.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggested the process of going through the Nevada DMVs away good truck intact and on the road and also because it's inexpensive. Some states like Nevada consider a vehicle with a different frame number from the cab be an alteration of the vin. For instance with proper documentation for the frame and the cab Nevada DMV cancels out both vins and issues a state assigned vin. I had a cop once threaten to tow my truck because he couldn't see the VIN number that was stamped in the frame. Besides look how much work it would be to part out the truck for another vs less than $100 in a little bit of time to get a clear title.

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
That does make it tough, keep your eyes peeled across the state.
These IDI’s were very popular with the farmers across the mid west. A non-runner should only be $700-1,100 based on condition.

I just would hate to see you get stuck in a long term project, struggle getting to and from work, and find in the end you still dropped +$1k on parts, tools, and manuals. But if you have most of the tools already maybe you can do it on a budget.

Worst case take the truck and park it for 6-12 months till you can revisit it.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up the DMV website to the forms section. https://dmvnv.com/dmvforms.htm

The forms that would most likely be needed to get a duplicate title would be a vehicle inspection form in the registration section.

In the ownership section it would be bill of sale application with duplicate title lien release of applicable and if the former owner doesn't want to go through too much then a power of attorney.

Paperwork has to be sent to the main office in Carson City they usually only take two weeks to process and send out a title after receiving all appropriate paperwork. If you want a faster title you can fill out another form listed on the web page and pay an extra fee to get the title faster but this isn't like California where it takes 90 days Plus. I wouldn't worry about it.
I haven't had to process for a duplicate title in many years but it used to be $12 and not more than a new title at 28.25

PreferedDog

Reaction score
I looked up the DMV website to the forms section. https://dmvnv.com/dmvforms.htm

The forms that would most likely be needed to get a duplicate title would be a vehicle inspection form in the registration section.

In the ownership section it would be bill of sale application with duplicate title lien release of applicable and if the former owner doesn't want to go through too much then a power of attorney.

Paperwork has to be sent to the main office in Carson City they usually only take two weeks to process and send out a title after receiving all appropriate paperwork. If you want a faster title you can fill out another form listed on the web page and pay an extra fee to get the title faster but this isn't like California where it takes 90 days Plus. I wouldn't worry about it.
I haven't had to process for a duplicate title in many years but it used to be $12 and not more than a new title at 28.25
This is the part I'm having trouble with.

"If you are requesting the duplicate title be mailed to another state a written statement is required. The statement must have the vehicle description including VIN, year, and make. The statement must be issued by the other state’s agency, responsible for issuing vehicle titles and registrations, verifying the Nevada Certificate of Title has not been surrendered to them."

I'm in Kansas and can't get the state of Kansas dmv to do anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.