No title free truck worth it?

PreferedDog

Reaction score
I have a chance to get an 89 F250 with a 7.3 idi and no title for free. I was thinking about taking it and swapping my 95 F150 cab and body onto it. In your opinion would it be worth it and what obstacles would I run into other than wiring. The 95 is a daily driven 302.

danno

Reaction score
That would be an interesting body swap for sure. And a FREE TRUCK that’s something that would be hard to pass up so long as it rolls, there’s tons of good stuff on there even if you don’t build it. As far as complications, there will be plenty I’m sure. Wiring is super simple on the IDI basically power to the IP runaway kill circuit and she’ll run. Tach drives off of the transmission. Gauges can all be run independently to sensors. One thing to note though these diesels are pretty large and real estate around the firewall can be very tight. There will be no shortage of bashing in your future.

PreferedDog

Reaction score
That would be an interesting body swap for sure. And a FREE TRUCK that’s something that would be hard to pass up so long as it rolls, there’s tons of good stuff on there even if you don’t build it. As far as complications, there will be plenty I’m sure. Wiring is super simple on the IDI basically power to the IP runaway kill circuit and she’ll run. Tach drives off of the transmission. Gauges can all be run independently to sensors. One thing to note though these diesels are pretty large and real estate around the firewall can be very tight. There will be no shortage of bashing in your future.
Thats one thing I forgot to say is the Free tuck is a perfectly running and driving truck just no title unfortunately

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Do check the VIN if you don't know the person. Last thing you want is a stolen vehicle... swap sounds interesting. Keep us informed.

Bodies are the same far as I know, relatively easy swap. While you're at it consider sound dampening material.

Never-Ether

PreferedDog

Reaction score
Well Do check the VIN if you don't know the person. Last thing you want is a stolen vehicle.
I know the owner of the truck. It was previously registered in her name.
Bodies are the same far as I know, relatively easy swap.
Do you know if I will have to get the diesel core support for the 95 or will the one on the 89 work with the 95 front end?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Bonded title if your state dmv allows it. It costs $100 for the surety bond and a little leg work to get valuations on paper from car dealers.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the owner of the truck. It was previously registered in her name.

Do you know if I will have to get the diesel core support for the 95 or will the one on the 89 work with the 95 front end?
I do know front clip swaps are popular on the brick noses. I don't know if there is a variation, look up clip swaps and you'll find information on it

Never-Ether

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to get an 89 F250 with a 7.3 idi and no title for free. I was thinking about taking it and swapping my 95 F150 cab and body onto it. In your opinion would it be worth it and what obstacles would I run into other than wiring. The 95 is a daily driven 302.
FYI,

The VIN is also stamped on the frame. In some States if the VIN of the cab does not match the VIN of the frame, they will refuse to register it. It is a federal offense to change the VIN tag on the cab so you won't be able to swap the VIN tag from the old cab to new cab.They use special rivets to attach the VIN plate that you can't "legally" get.

Varies state to state, Michiagan will confiscate a vehicle if the VIN has been "tampered with" and crush the vehicle under their fraud laws which requires destruction of the vehicle. There is a guy with a 1959 Corvette that has been fighting for 5 years to get his car back and stop it from getting crushed.

TLDR: Double check with your state how to handle the VIN mismatch before you start work.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score

Sounds like you can get the title sorted out on the free truck since it was in her name. Why do the swap? Is the free truck rough on the outside or inside?

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you can get the title sorted out on the free truck since it was in her name Why do the swap? Is the free truck rough on the outside or inside?

This. Depends on the local regulations but I know here in NY it's stupid easy to get a replacement title if you actually know the previous owner. You can go online and request a duplicate title and pay the $50 fee and DMV will mail it to the previous owner.

Now if there are liens on the title that might present a different set of problems....

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If the diesel has the short & wide radiator, it may fit the gas nose just fine.

While vin tampering is illegal, sometimes the part stays attached to a removable part (like a plastic dash). Some jurisdictions only go by a single, easy-accessed vin... one under a truck on the frame doesn't qualify.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If the diesel has the short & wide radiator, it may fit the gas nose just fine.

While vin tampering is illegal, sometimes the part stays attached to a removable part (like a plastic dash). Some jurisdictions only go by a single, easy-accessed vin... one under a truck on the frame doesn't qualify.

If you need info on a local area's VIN laws, a classic VW beetle forum is a good place to get info, since people do entire body swaps sometimes so the pan VIN may be different from the body.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If you need info on a local area's VIN laws, a classic VW beetle forum is a good place to get info, since people do entire body swaps sometimes so the pan VIN may be different from the body.
I know my area's rules well - the cab or dash bearing the vin is all that's really mattered.

PreferedDog

Reaction score
She moved to Kansas from Nevada. Basically the 2 states have contradicting regs to get the title. It's been an almost 9 month fight that she is giving up on.

The cab is pretty rough and not worth saving.

Kansas does not do yearly inspections so once a vehicle is registered it never gets inspected again. Kansas also only looks at the VIN on the dash so no issues there. I've done a cab swap before on a chevy (83 half ton on an 81one ton dually frame)

The 95 cab is tagged and registered in Kansas in my name so as far as Kansas is concerned it's still the truck they think it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online