No Start (not related to cold temps), No fuel Pressure?

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9 Won't Start, no fuel pressure, any ideas?

Okay, this morning the 85 CC (in my sig) fired right up. Maybe quarter revolution and it was running, no problems.

Drove it to work, parked in our semi-heated warehouse (45-50 degrees). No problems. Sat for 10 or so hours. Went to leave work, listened to the glow plug relay cycle, and began to turn it over. Wouldn't fire. Tried several times, glowing the plugs each time I tried to start. Factory controller works great. Still no fire.

Next I cracked a line at the injector til it was good and loose. turn engine over for 5 seconds. No fuel, aside from a little wetness. So I pulled the little cover off the top of the gear housing for the injector pump and turned the engine over. Injector pump gear turns. Next I checked all fuses, all good. Next I turn the key to run and detach and reconnect each of the two connectors on the IP. I hear a click for each one. (not for the high idle wires, the other two).

I tried rapping a little on the pump housing as well, then cranking. Nothing.

So I went back and loosened all 8 injector connections and cranked, and cranked, and cranked. I get a tiny amount out of a couple, mostly just dribbling.

I run the diesel additive everyone else does (the company that makes the 911, but I use the regular stuff unless I run into a problem), full fuel tank. Fuel filter is completely full. I even dumped it and filled it back up with half 911 half No. 2.

Through everything I did, it did not fire, not even once.

Any ideas? This is my first diesel. I am thinking injector pump, possibly gears spun on shaft or something? This truck had been running great the past couple months (since I bought it), and even this morning. It has 115,000 miles on it.

My apologies for the essay, any help would be greatly appreciated!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hmmm....well then obviously your not getting fuel. Your fuel filter is full? As in you filled it, or it had fuel at the shraeder vavle?

Bad lift pump maybe?

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Filter was full when i pulled it off, right to the top. Was still full when I left after I did all of the stuff above. Can hear lift pump running. Always had fuel at the schraeder valve as well. It's like its not going further than the filter and/or IP???

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody? :dunno I guess maybe this could be moved to 911 diesel down.. I need this truck to run this weekend....

Thanks

zpd307

Reaction score
i was thinking lift pump. when you say that you can hear it running, do you have an electric pump?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the little cover off the top of the gear housing for the injector pump and turned the engine over. Injector pump gear turns.

:eek: Can you be more specific about what you tried to do here??

You either pulled the injector pump gear tower :eek: or you took the top cover off the IP (OK if you know what your doing). If it was full of fuel, then I would suspect your fuel shutoff solenoid is bad. You should hear it click when 12 volts is applied to it.

suv7734

Reaction score
How fast is the engine turning over? If you have weak batteries/poor connections and it doesn't turn over fast enough it will be hard to start.
Just something else to check.

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, this can be taken out of the 911 section now.

I can see where my explaination of "the little cover" could have been misleading. What I actually took off was a threaded plug on top of the housing surrounding the drive gear, the gear above the camshaft. I then jumped the starter solenoid and saw the gear spin.

I believe it was temp/glow plug related after all... I just thought with it being fairly warm it would at least fire regardless of glow plug operation. Apparently the dripping from the injector lines was actually enough fuel for the engine to run. A whiff of starting fluid (glow plug relay disconnected) and it fired up immediately. Could be a combination with an air in the fuel problem as well, since 3 of my injectors leak, as well as the return lines.

She needs work!

Thanks

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yeah if the glow plugs don't work your gonna need probably 65-70 degree weather or warmer depending on the condition of the motor