No Start (not related to cold temps), No fuel Pressure?

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9 Won't Start, no fuel pressure, any ideas?

Okay, this morning the 85 CC (in my sig) fired right up. Maybe quarter revolution and it was running, no problems.

Drove it to work, parked in our semi-heated warehouse (45-50 degrees). No problems. Sat for 10 or so hours. Went to leave work, listened to the glow plug relay cycle, and began to turn it over. Wouldn't fire. Tried several times, glowing the plugs each time I tried to start. Factory controller works great. Still no fire.

Next I cracked a line at the injector til it was good and loose. turn engine over for 5 seconds. No fuel, aside from a little wetness. So I pulled the little cover off the top of the gear housing for the injector pump and turned the engine over. Injector pump gear turns. Next I checked all fuses, all good. Next I turn the key to run and detach and reconnect each of the two connectors on the IP. I hear a click for each one. (not for the high idle wires, the other two).

I tried rapping a little on the pump housing as well, then cranking. Nothing.

So I went back and loosened all 8 injector connections and cranked, and cranked, and cranked. I get a tiny amount out of a couple, mostly just dribbling.

I run the diesel additive everyone else does (the company that makes the 911, but I use the regular stuff unless I run into a problem), full fuel tank. Fuel filter is completely full. I even dumped it and filled it back up with half 911 half No. 2.

Through everything I did, it did not fire, not even once.

Any ideas? This is my first diesel. I am thinking injector pump, possibly gears spun on shaft or something? This truck had been running great the past couple months (since I bought it), and even this morning. It has 115,000 miles on it.

My apologies for the essay, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hmmm....well then obviously your not getting fuel. Your fuel filter is full? As in you filled it, or it had fuel at the shraeder vavle?

Bad lift pump maybe?

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Filter was full when i pulled it off, right to the top. Was still full when I left after I did all of the stuff above. Can hear lift pump running. Always had fuel at the schraeder valve as well. It's like its not going further than the filter and/or IP???

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody? :dunno I guess maybe this could be moved to 911 diesel down.. I need this truck to run this weekend....

Thanks

zpd307

Reaction score
i was thinking lift pump. when you say that you can hear it running, do you have an electric pump?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have pressure at the schrader valve and a known good filter, then I would say IP. There is a screen in the rear of the ip that I have seen clog when running some of the alternate fuels, but it is not likely to happen all at once.

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an electric pump under the cab that I was told is a lift pump. I was told by the previous owner that you only need to run it if it has been sitting, though I run it for about 30 sec prior to starting it every time, longer if it actually hasn't been run in a few days.

Great fuel at the schrader valve. When turning it over with all lines cracked, it just puddles/drips a little.

I am putting a new filter on in a couple hours (lunch) and plan to fill it up with no. 2 then turn it over with the starter, then tighten all the lines back up.

I will see what that does and report back.

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A motor should never have both an electric and mechanical lift pump at one time.... Its either one or the other. If the electric was needed just for startups then that tells me there is a problem. It may be an air leak somewhere. If the electric in pumping into the mechanical pump it will rupture the daiphram and flood the oil pan diluting the oil. That will kill the bearings fast. Does the oil level keep coming up past full???

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, oil does not come up past full... needs a quart every 2000 miles in fact.

I changed the fuel filter, no dice.

One of the guys in our shop talked me into trying a shot of starting fluid, being as frustrated as I was, I disconnected the glow plug relay and had him crank.

Slightest shot of the fluid over the top of the intake and she was up and running.

Any ideas why? I want to fix it right......

Thanks

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, now that it's running... If I accelerate hard (pedal to floor) for a short block, then stop, it will idle rough (lope sort of) for about 10 seconds or so before smoothing out. If I rev up to governor while its sitting, and then immediatly let off it will stall. Sometimes seems to not have as much power as it should, though this is the first diesel I've owned. Also, see the pics... would this indicate a blown head gasket?

All of this is after warmed up.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n207/dpolson6/DSCN2920.jpg

zpd307

Reaction score
im no expert. but from others i would lean towards bad ip. how many miles on it?

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would either a stopped up fuel filter, a bad lift pump, or a ip. Seems to be a fuel filter or lift pump.

tractorman86

Reaction score
take the lines off of the mech lift pump and loop them(bypassing that pump) turn on the electric pump, see if that solves any problems. if not then you've either clogged the screan (unlikley seeing how it ran normal on the way in then suddenly nogo after sitting), or have a weak IP. on edit: of course after changing the fuel filter first

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I was wrong on the fuel issue. She'll start on a wiff of starting fluid every time. Starts fine when engine is already warm. I guess I didn't think it was a glow plug/temperature issue because it woudln't start in our warehouse, but apparently it was cold enough in there where it did. My guess is the glow plugs are all fried. I'll test them eventually.

I am thinking I would like to go with the "continuous duty" glow plugs that I've read about on here.

Thanks for the help.