no power when towing

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: today when towing 16ft trailer with 1.81ton could just barely stay at speed 65 . then when taking off from start had no power ,could barely get rolling in 1st gear. truck is 94 f250 turbo 4x4 5spd. 248,798 miles.original ip/inj.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
"248,798 miles.original ip/inj" ...............i think this is your answer right here.......... deffinitly time to change those out, you will be very happy and if you are looking for power i suggest Ken's stage 1 pump and injectors.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep, that is one of the thing I would check for, you can get the turbo injectors (g code?). Also just in case, did you check the air filter? Fuel filter? Are you running diesel only, any additives?

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am replacing air filter in am. and fuel filter . changed fuel filter 8000 miles ago . what causes oil in air filter. also how much does kens ip/ stage 1 inj run? replaced clutch 18,000 miles ago with luk smf. also ordered rod end for clutch peddle how hard to replace?read article on it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
8k on a fuel filter isn't much, but if you pump bad diesel or it takes 2 years for you to drive 8k then it is time for it. For Me motorcraft ff or wix (#33617? Joe) is the best option.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF the fuel filter fixes it, and the truck sits a lot, I would treat the tanks for alge. OR if you got bad fuel some where.
Ken's stage 1 stuff is not much more than local, and performance is much better. But if you go that route, he is very slow some times. I have his injectors and they do make a differance.

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet the truck gets used every day . about 450 miles a day .i fillup at a truck stop station every day .so i should go to junk yard and get ip/inj to send to ken?? that way i can still drive truck. it has excellent power w no trailer ,thats what has me confused about problem ! thanks for all the responses this site is great :hail :hail :thumbsup:

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I would do, and change the fuel filter to see if that helps.
Also is there a lot of blowby from the filler cap? Any signs that you can see that have changed?

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while that might be the current problem I have over 200,000 mi on my pump & inj and can pull my 31' TT at 65mph as long as the road is flat.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
You sure the trailer brakes aren't stuck on?

lol

but seriously, if it accelerates really well without a trailer I'd be worried about the trailer. If you think that the extra weight of the trailer is just causing an existing problem to surface then mess with the truck:)

My IP died at 129k miles. Started spewing fuel out the weep hole. I just put on a re-man stocker. I don't drive much, have 130k on the truck now, still have stock injectors. Seems to pull just fine (I usually pull a 20x8' box trailer full of motorcycles, only 4k lbs or so, but pushes a bit of air).
Certainly have no trouble getting over 65 or 75 for that matter.

Do you get any black smoke when towing with the peddle to the floor? Do you have boost and pyro gauges? (if not, you'll need them before installing kens stuff).