More engine power "research"

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after about 19 months of one problem after another, including, but not limited to a loss of interest, combined with laziness, the Allison '94 CC Dually F350 7.43 idiT might be on the road next Friday.
Now that Allison trans is rated to tow 32,500 pounds. The engine, maybe not so much.
So, sticking with the idi, and due to the placement of the trans cooler in front of the radiator, killing an inter~cooler idea, (zero room) what could I do for more power? No, I do not desire to roll back smoke out the tailpipe.
Towing what? Well, I do have an electric start 1977 D4d Cat with the roll cage and a winch weighing in at 21000 pounds. I suspect it's probably higher than that with the winch.
Tow that? Maybe once. However I am at the top of a 1200 foot hill and I don't think I will be doing that anytime in the future.
Not without a dump truck of a suitable size to match.
But . . .

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Something else you could do is relocate the trans cooler to somewhere down the frame, and put a fluid temp controlled fan on it for cooling, opening up your options for an intercooler. A lot of the E450 bus chassis do that.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will be able to roll that cat up to highway speeds , albeit slowly.
Now the trailers brakes best be in top shape. Ive got several quarry tickets @ 20k but I'm on the valley floor.
Stopping that train aint gunna be fun when soccermom cuts ya off....
+1 on relocating the trans cooler.

Black dawg

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the gear ratios of that transmission work out with the idi. I have learned with my truck (turbo 7.3 4spd and gear splitter) that you can get by with a lot less power when gear ratios are better.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the gear ratios of that transmission work out with the idi. I have learned with my truck (turbo 7.3 4spd and gear splitter) that you can get by with a lot less power when gear ratios are better.
Gear splitters, that was how they did it in those days long gone by, when the engines weren't so strong as they are now....

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered where you were at with this.

Being factory turbo'd, you're a leg up power wise on everybody that's NA. So there's that going for you. You can look into turbo upgrades, several options are available non-intercooled from multiple vendors. An intercooler will always be a benefit, but depending on your IP fuel amount, it might not be necessary. If you're certain you can't fit an intercooler in front of the radiator, look into air-water intercoolers, as I know some guys on here have installed them with success.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered where you were at with this.

Being factory turbo'd, you're a leg up power wise on everybody that's NA. So there's that going for you. You can look into turbo upgrades, several options are available non-intercooled from multiple vendors. An intercooler will always be a benefit, but depending on your IP fuel amount, it might not be necessary. If you're certain you can't fit an intercooler in front of the radiator, look into air-water intercoolers, as I know some guys on here have installed them with success.
Amen to all that, well said!

@Black dawg I'm sure you know this, but the Allison will do a great job with the IDI. Being a slushbox it'll just torque the load all day until it can lock up in gear and then shift to the next. I don't like slushboxes, but I drive MD trucks with Allisons all day every day. They do a great job and have 6 speeds to even out the load. Then every gear can have the converter locked or unlocked, making it kinda like a 12-speed as far as torque goes, but much easier and faster to drive.
Ok I just realized maybe you're wondering about the transmission drive ratios vs the final drive in the pickup vs MD trucks. I would guess 1st will still be fine and everything after that is just taller. But we have more RPM's too. Interesting!

FWIW the engines I drive are Mercedes or Cummins I-6's and most are rated at just about 230hp or similar; each truck is 34,000lbs GVWR. So a well-running turbo IDI will actually be pretty close. Add the aftercooler and more fuel/bigger turbo and you could eclipse them. It won't pull that kind of weight for 300k but it should keep up for your once a year trips.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slush box is good for the wife to drive. The Allison, with the 2 extra gears, might make that engine a bit happier under a load. I am in the search mode, beginning search mode, for an air brake equipped tandem axle dual wheel trailer. So 8 tires under it with nice wide brake shoes on both axles and the controller in the truck activated by juice brakes might make this a viable option for flat land transport. I have a few routes off this hill. All of them with varying angles of decent and each with it's own set of problems. I will probably get this all hooked up and drive it around on the top of the hill just to see what power it has and how well it can stop without the truck brakes.
As for the engine, IF it is a gutless toy, I have another engine under a tarp on top of a pallet that can be redone with bigger cam, crank, pistons ~~IF that is an option~~
I can use the current fairly fresh rebuilt engine for larger injectors and a pump to begin with potentially.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Noiseydiesel I disagree with you after using the obs solutions mount kit I have installed a 6.0 trans cooler and a full size 7.3 intercooler in the front of a obs powerstroke. Yes there are differences but you do have the roof for a intercooler and a massive trans cooler.
Idk about your specific trans cooler.
Also I would still recommend running thru the factory radiator in addition to the trans cooler as it helps to warm the fluid up

I think you will have enough power to tow it. It will be slow and feel under powered but just about anything you try to pull it with will feel that way. Keep in mind you are almost tripling the rated weight capacity of a f350 with a 5th wheel from the factory (12.5k)

An intercooler I always recommend because it is there whether you are cruising 45mph or towing 30k

Egt and coolant temp gauges will be your friend and my new upgraded fan will be a great addition to your truck!