no more BERU GPs from autozone!!!!!!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mainiac, what probably happened is that latching relay stuck open and burned that glow plug...I'm a little surprised all the other ones tested good(or did they?) Mel has a way to make that system a bit more reliable, while retaining the stock functionality if I recall, maybe you can refresh our memory. Anyway, I'd either do that or go to a straight toggle switch. I don't trust that latching relay for a minute. Its crap. Great when it works, but not failsafe.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
The real important thing is that you want to stay away from the Champs and autolites. They are both made by Johnson Controls, and while they do many things well, GPs for IDIs was not one of them. The other important thing is to make sure your GP controller is working properly if its a solid state or replaced with a switch that gets no more than 8-10 seconds of juice at a time, then make sure the timing is spot on. Its disturbing that Mainiac lost a tip even with a perfectly timed engine and berus. I still await his answer on what type of GP system.

The controller is me! LOL I use a push button and hold it for 8 sec on a cold day! After going to the Bosch GP, no more problems. JMO

mainiac

Reaction score
I have a solid state timer ciruit you can build if you're into electronics. You'll find it below.]

I think I'll have to try that as I like to keep things simple. Other people might start it and screw it up on me.
Thanks for the schematic.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's the main reason I just went with the solid state system, I kept worrying that some person would start it and leave the GPs on. It would have been easy since I had a true toggle switch and not even a momentary toggle. I almost did it myself once or twice. The 6.9 glow plugs that came out were still 100% good though...worked and no swelled tips.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up the last set in portland today, Just happened in to the AZ in ricer central and they had one set left. 23 and change, had the manager do a search, and there is 2gp's in oregon city and 3 in oak grove and thats it in oregon and washington.
Long as I have spares I will never need them ,right.:rotflmao

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a BERU problem or motorcraft? Research is in order.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even the ZD11's are going for the PSD's

oh great.but the strokes dont need them as often as the IDIs do.but still need spares.

id like to know also.all i use in my fords are BERUs.whats replacing them?is it any good?what other brand is equally as good as BERUs.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I picked up the last set of zd9's for mine today, and asked about the zd11's it showed $14? I think they can look them up 2 different ways and 2 different prices?:eek:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, since my controller works as it should, I just ran the wire from the controller back into the cab, through a momentary pushbutton switch from RatShack, and then back to the controller relay. When it is time to start 'er up, I hold the button and turn the key and just wait until the controller timer shuts off the GPs and WTS light and then fire it up.

If it is cold out I will just keep my finger on the pushbutton and cycle the key again - which supplies power to the GPs for about another 1.5 seconds of "after-glow". If it is REALLY cold, I'll cycle the key twice - giving them TWO more 1.5 second shots of current. It has never once failed to start right up with two of the 1.5 second "after-glow" cycles.

I still bought a total of 4 sets of spare glowplugs when I saw they were only $3 per plug. At that price I got 4 full sets for less than $20 more than the price of one set. With a working set in the truck and 4 more sets of spares, I should have a lifetime supply.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I just ran the wire from the controller back into the cab, through a momentary pushbutton switch from RatShack, and then back to the controller relay. When it is time to start 'er up, I hold the button and turn the key and just wait until the controller timer shuts off the GPs and WTS light and then fire it up.

With a working set in the truck and 4 more sets of spares, I should have a lifetime supply.
I clipped the controller black ground wire & spliced in & ran back to my pushbutton dash mounted switch.....

& hang on to all your lifetime worth of GPs....they'll come in handy to stock shelf in our OB'er GP store.....OK?:D

icesoft

Reaction score

When I asked one of the clerks for Motorcraft ZD9 GP's he told me that they didn't carry Motorcraft GPs and that I needed to go to PepBoys to get 'em. Sounds like maybe they lost a bid to carry the Motorcraft parts or something... The guy didn't bother to look if they had any on the shelf, but I managed to score 34 plugs from the other AutoZones in the area that day.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
When I asked one of the clerks for Motorcraft ZD9 GP's he told me that they didn't carry Motorcraft GPs and that I needed to go to PepBoys to get 'em. Sounds like maybe they lost a bid to carry the Motorcraft parts or something... The guy didn't bother to look if they had any on the shelf, but I managed to score 34 plugs from the other AutoZones in the area that day.

Jest tell them the part number zd9 no cross refrence just look up that part number they have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online