No headlights?

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Okay, so yesterday I had my 4 ways fixed,they work great along with all the other lights...EXCEPT this morning when I turned them on the headlights do not work!!!!! Garage was closed today and I will be there waiting in the morning!!!! Any ideas??? Thanks guys!

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you or any past owners had a plow on the truck?

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Have you or any past owners had a plow on the truck?
As a matter of fact, the previous owner used it as a plow truck! I just went out and noticed the floor switch high beam is loose...when I held it in place they came on???!!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just made me change my post while I was typing!!

Dimmer switch on the floor is a good thing to check when this happens. Have you tried switching between high and low beams?

I would change out the dimmer switch. It's not very expensive and ALL the power for your headlights goes through it.

Then I would highly recommend buying a headlight relay kit. (Assuming the floor switch is the problem you're having now.)

The headlight switches are known to be a problem issue as these trucks age and a relay kit can save you a lot of headache down the road. See here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1399515-picked-up-a-truck-that-had-a-dash-fire.html

Headlight relay kit for 92-97 headlights: https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mo...vy-Duty-Headlight-Harness/productinfo/34805C/

Last edited:

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Thank you chillman!!!! I will take care of that in the morning. Why I thought to check that, I dont know...musta been sendin" some kinda telepathic message to me! Good to hear from you!

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's some wiring involved with plow trucks - the headlights switch from the truck to the plow's head gear and back (when the plow is off the truck) Some times that can act up. Sounds like the dimmer switch is the culprit this time.

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
There's some wiring involved with plow trucks - the headlights switch from the truck to the plow's head gear and back (when the plow is off the truck) Some times that can act up. Sounds like the dimmer switch is the culprit this time.
Thanks Greenie,appreciate the input. Hopefully its something simple!

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
My f250 was also a plow truck before I bought (I since removed the plow), and I had trouble with the headlights going off for long periods of time. It turned out to be a faulty headlight switch. I replaced the dimmer switch while I was at it, and that fixed it. I think in general, like @Greenie said, plow trucks have a lot more strain on the electrical system, and even without the plow or other stuff, there should be a relay as @chillman88 stated.

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang it IDIBRONCO, why can't you be closer???? Then you could show me...LOL.
Good to hear from you.

I'm supposed to be in Mechanicsburg in a few weeks lol

I agree though, there's quite a few members on here I'd like to hang out with if they weren't so far away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726