nitrous is like a HOT chick with an STD, you want to hit it hard but youre afraid to.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
how often did you hit on the LPG? i will have less problems if i replace the HG's and head bolts (convert to studs) in the beginning correct? and cant i then push more boost/fuel? i would like to get 450hp and 800+ ft/lbs of torque if that is possible on stock internals, and still be a decent daily driver. so, id like to not use the propane/water/NOS/whatever when daily driving, just for fun, or when i need it.

anyone have any sugestions?

i looked at the banks kit that comes with intercoolers and everything, and i looked at propane and water injection.

on the head gaskets... is there anyone you would reccommend for a strong head gasket?

in that video, is that a stock PSD? is there anyway we can match or make a IDI that will out run a PSD like that?

sootman73

Reaction score
I would like to get 450hp and 800+ ft/lbs of torque if that is possible on stock internals, and still be a decent daily driver. so, id like to not use the propane/water/NOS/whatever when daily driving, just for fun, or when i need it.

sorry to inform you but these idi's aren't like the newer tuneable diesels you see making crazy hp. more realistic would be maybe 300hp max. anything over and it def wont be a daily driver anymore.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yep ben's right. the idi isn't built to make those numbers. they will run with a stock 7.3 at maybe a touch better but that's about it if you want it to last.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
sorry to inform you but these idi's aren't like the newer tuneable diesels you see making crazy hp. more realistic would be maybe 300hp max. anything over and it def wont be a daily driver anymore.

hmmm, man.. ive always been a ford truck guy too. i know this may not be the right place to ask, but could i make that kind of power in a first gen cummins? or should i go over to that section and ask those guys? i HAVNT bought a diesel yet, but i knwo what i want to do with one, i just was trying to shoot for a ford first.

dont hate on me yet, havnt made a decision, i imagine even if i got a cummins, i would still get an IDI.. i mean honestly... they just look better and theres some sick vids/pics ive seen of them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most here use Felpro head gaskets because they work very well. Thats all Felpro does... My feeling are they make the best gaskets. Some like the OEM Navistar too. The Felpro haskets are about 74 to 76 thousands thick and are MLS. The studs to use are the ARP AR7.000-1LB. They are 1/2x7.00 broached. They need to be torqued down and backed off 5 times to seat them. I thought this was a bunch of hooey but when I did this the nut turned another 3/4 turn down on the stud. This process breaks down the interferance tension between the nut and stud along with the friction caused by the washer. I followed their lube recommendations and used their ARP Molloy Lube. The torque they told me to use was 130 lbs with 30w oil or 100 lbs with their molloy lube. Now thats a big differance. I was lucky to have a spare used head gasket and a spare block and head for this torque process. Doing this while the motor is in the truck will not work. Pull the motor and do it right. That way you can really get to anything on the motor you want. You wont get 450hp and 800 ft lbs of torque no matter what you do to these motors. A turbo is about the best item that lasts the longest on these motors. Porting and polishing the heads, intake and exhaust logs will really help. Remember these motors running a turbo can have up to 14 or 15 lbs of air pressing on the intake valves just waiting to flow into the cylinders. Then all that extra air is compressed up into an area between the head and piston top thats around 44 thousands thick plus the precup volume. This is if you are using the Felpeo gaskets and your pistons are up out of the cylinders the maxium amount of 31 thousands. I did run a motor with the pistons as much as 54 thousands up out of the cylinders but that was only a test and not recommended at all. The 21 thousands squish area was not enough and the compression ratio was way to high. I did mill out the precup chambers in the head to drop down the C/R but it was still too high. Every piston looked like the intake valves had kissed them but nothing was damaged. You could only see the marks but couldn't feel any dents or bent valves. That was too close of a running tolerance for the average driver.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A cummins can make bigger numbers because it is not an IDI, and doesn't have the compression our motors do. You can decompress them to get closer, but to be direct injected you'd really have your work cut out for you. If somebody came out with a set of direct injection heads for these blocks, then LOOK OUT! :D Alas, nobody does. In fact the best we seem to be able to muster is stock Chinese replacements. :rolleyes: :puke:

acousticrawk

Reaction score
kool. well im going to start considering if i want to go cummins or IDI. i have a god deal pending on an old 83 NA IDI that i think im for sure going to get. and for my powerhouse, i think ill get a first gen cummins.

sootman73

Reaction score
IF you can get your hands on an issue of Diesel Power magazine they are building up a first gen cummins right now. haven't got real far into it yet either. they've only spent:
$749 on stage IV injectors
$0.00 on pump modifications/adjustments
$250 on boost and pyro guages
$300 on Nitrous kit

at the 264 rwhp level! not including the nitrous spray being used. they can get 50-150hp extra depending on jet size.

cummins would def be the powerhouse but the idi is a very dependable daily driver or hard working truck.(i dont trust dodges)

acousticrawk

Reaction score
YEAH, i saw that. i was in kroger reading it. to cheap to buy it. i liek that truck. thats where i got to thinking about nitrous. im definately going to at least have an NA 83 IDI with a c6 here soon i think, you cant beat an internation harvester. they build semi in my home town. great place that IH plant is.

so whats the peak poer you can get out of an IDI? who here has the baddest IDI?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just want some good fun power and smoke some tires at traffic light easily w/o powerbraking and look kool doing it. im sure anyone can respect that. haha.[/QUOTE]

I would like to get 450hp and 800+ ft/lbs of torque if that is possible on stock internals, and still be a decent daily driver. so, id like to not use the propane/water/NOS/whatever when daily driving, just for fun, or when i need it.

Ain't happening in an IDI without a complete redesign of the heads, a turbo, stronger rods and a much lower compression ratio. Might get the smokey burnouts with a line lock on the front brakes though.LOL

Also make sure you set aside a few $$$ for those...... :rolleyes:really cool:Whatever: .....smokey burnouts at the stop light on a public road, I'm sure you're gonna look :thumbsup: in cuffs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want the 12V Cummins in a Ford truck for the best of all worlds. The IDI is just a simple, mechanical motor that will run for a long time with decent maintenance. Dave Spounagle has the baddest IDI that we know of but he spends most of his time at FTE website, but he did post the details of his build here. Still no way its like a heavily modded Cummins or Super Duty, but it will blow the stock ones away. Ken from DPS also has some experience building up IDIs and Barney)Flatlander's) compound turbo truck is pretty sweet too.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a guy here in st joe thats got a 1st gen cummins with around 550 hp to the wheels real sweet looking truck and dosnt have a ton of $$ invested in it either

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i would like to know how the old tractor pulling guys were building these engines up. i heard they blocks were good for 800 hp before critical failure.

also, i dont see why ya cant get 400 hp outta one of these engines. with an intercooler, right turbo (or pair of turbos) and some crucial planning it can be done and be done realibly.