newbie to the idi + who is mel

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all some what of a newbie here. Recently done some trading and came out with a 93 f350 7.3 idi. Being a diesel mech I should know more about these engines than I do but seeing as I started my diesel career in 1996 the idi was history. Been doing a lot of reading on this and other forums and found a post that directed me here and said that mel was the bomb when it came to idi's.

Here's my problem. Truck has been sitting 2-3 yrs and the squirels went to town on the wiring harness. How much "computer" junk is on an idi. I know its a pump and lines engine but I think it has an e4od tranny in it and that will have a computer. Can this engine be "hot wired" around all of the chewed up harness. I have found an underhood harness locally for about $300 but that's outta my reach if I can't even tell if its going to be a good running engine. Not to mention having to work over pump and injectors.

Any input would but most helpful. Thanks in advance.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all some what of a newbie here. Recently done some trading and came out with a 93 f350 7.3 idi. Being a diesel mech I should know more about these engines than I do but seeing as I started my diesel career in 1996 the idi was history. Been doing a lot of reading on this and other forums and found a post that directed me here and said that mel was the bomb when it came to idi's.

Here's my problem. Truck has been sitting 2-3 yrs and the squirels went to town on the wiring harness. How much "computer" junk is on an idi. I know its a pump and lines engine but I think it has an e4od tranny in it and that will have a computer. Have found an underhood harness locally for about $300 but that's outta my reach if I can't even tell if its going to be a good running engine. Not to mention having to work over pump and injectors.

Any input would but most helpful. Thanks in advance.
this is Mel....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/member.php?u=1356
welcome to the site;Sweet
if you need to test the motor before dumping any money into the truck, all you need is a good starter, good battery cables going to the starter, and a jumper lead from the pos terminal to the fuel solenoid on the IP.
give the intake a whiff of ether and hit the starter with the fuel solenoid hooked up. you will either be running or not or making very strange noises.
good luck!

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks t'cat. That was what I was hoping to hear. Going to take a while geting to that point even. Dang squirels even ate on the battery cables and the previous owner robbed the batteries out of it. Batteries and cables aren't going to be cheap I'm afraid.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks t'cat. That was what I was hoping to hear. Going to take a while geting to that point even. Dang squirels even ate on the battery cables and the previous owner robbed the batteries out of it. Batteries and cables aren't going to be cheap I'm afraid.
official ford cable for the pos side is $120 last time I checked.
you can build your own if you have your own swageing tool and a good soldering torch.
these motors don't need much electrical to fire off and that's the beauty in the simplicity.;Sweet

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was hoping for simplicity. If I could get around the electronic tranny I'd convert to analog guages in a custom built dash.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I was hoping for simplicity. If I could get around the electronic tranny I'd convert to analog guages in a custom built dash.
you can do that too.
the E4DOA trans wiring is pretty much stand-alone.
power to its feeble brain.
ground so that it works.
fipl for the throttle value.
speed sensor so the torque convertor knows when is the best time to commit suicide.
brake switch feed to unlock the convertor.
OD defeat switch wiring.
that's it other than a shitload of wires from the brain to the trans.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. That little tid-bit of info may save me hundreds.

On a much more simple scale I rebuilt a 61 int scout 80 a few yrs ago and stripped every inch of wire out of it and custom built a complete harness for it.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
do your self a favor hook up the glow plug controler it will make it start much easyer . I usualy cant get them to turn fast enought on either

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do your self a favor hook up the glow plug controler it will make it start much easyer . I usualy cant get them to turn fast enought on either
if you need glow plugs and ether at the same time, you are playing with fire.
make sure you have a healthy starter and batteries. you need 300 rpm minimum cranking speed or the motor will not build up enough compression heat.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If the glow plugs dont work, and you know it (ie glow plug controller has no power going to it), then if you spray some either it should start everytime (but dont do it more than you have to, once or twice to see if she runs, ect, dont make a habit out of it).

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a big either fan. Would rather install a glow plug controler or have a push button setup for the glow plugs. Seen way to much damage done by either.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I saw just recently a good reason to not use ether. My friend used it to start his diesel VW the other day and it cracked the compression ring on one of his pistons.

As for the knowledge on this board, I'd say we all know pretty much everything about these trucks and engines and then we also have our specialty areas of knowledge. Basically a pretty tight knit group the IDI guys are.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel stupid sometimes cause my experience has been so focused on a very few engines. I guess I need to learn to be more diverse. I know that its all fuel heat and compression but the big deal and difference is how they get that fuel.

wolf5842

Reaction score
I recently had a situation where my truck would start great cold but if it sat for an hour or so it take 4-7 seconds for it to fire. It would spin as if the battery were running out of umpf! After checking GP system and everything else, had the starter looked at, not all the brushes were working. Rebuilt the starter problem gone! I never suspected the starter at first because of the way it got the engine going when cold. Just a thought.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Yes, it's true that I do have goodies available. However, I wouldn't say that I am "all that". LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online