Newbie decision for vehicle

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I hope I am in the correct section of the forum. I am looking for some advice on my next vehicle and apologize for the long post.

I started my diesel fascination on an '82 rabbit diesel. I had it for a year and it was fun to mess around with. Long story short is that I have accumulated 4.5 vehicles (motorcycle) and needed to get rid of some, maintenance was eating all my enthusiasm and insurance was getting pricey. The list contains a 1964 c20 that is not going anywhere for sure and I consider my "play project car", my wife's murano, my "normal" 04 f150, and finally the VW rabbit 1.6. I have recently sold the rabbit and working on the last two in hopes of buying the wife a new vehicle with a full warranty (kinda new, 1800 mile new) while they are still worth a decent amount and I would figure something else out afterwards for my daily/beater to work. I hate loans but if I can keep it modest I would pay it off in a year or so.

I am finding a trend between vehicles in the <5k range to be: Beat small imports, Rusted out anything, newish (00-03) pickups that have around 200k or the good old CL "rebuilt engine", and some older diesels.

The one that will not get out of my head is a 1992 f250 7.3 IDI N/A 4x4 extended cab with 220k miles asking around 2800. It is at a small dealer here and it belongs to the owners son who does the car thing a little when not deployed. The son had took it in on a trade while in N dakota and drove it back here to W. Michigan a few months ago. Said it was originally from texas which I do beleive because there is really no rust on it for the age, maybe a 5 inch spot on the bottom rear of cab. Other than that there is not much info on it. It started up relatively easy and I didn't notice a large amount of smoke at all. The transfer case was covered (alot) in oil and they said the owner knew about it and he just added oil once a year or so. It seemed to be alright while driving, the only thing I noticed was when you let off then back on the throttle it was like there was almost a slop of gears. (I feel like I can sometimes produce it on my newer vehicles too if i try)

Didnt see any real outstanding leaks besides the oil pan drain nut. The drivers rear valve cover had a small 3 in spot on it. Maybe a power steering hose was a little wet but it didnt concern me too much. I have been looking for things to pick out if I can ever decide to go look at it again such as coolant tests, rusted suspension points, GP relay, etc.

My question for those of you who have these trucks, would you suggest this type of vehicle for someone who:
-drives 6 mi one way to work and probably <150/week
-Has a wife who would like a child in 1-1.5 years
-thinks he doesn't need a truck but keeps finding himself using it more often than not. (no heavy trailers)
-Has started a wmo/wvo centrifuge and enjoys the idea of diesel
-Can handle mechanical repairs but has a project car that would like more than 3/4 of the attention.
-Starting to appreciate older vehicles because its straight forward to fix.
-wants a reliable vehicle that wont have issues (small quick ones are not a big deal) and last a while and doesn't mind if its not shiny.

Hope I was clear. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I know exactly where you are coming from. I bought my IDI 8 years ago. I drove it 20k miles and ended up spending about $1000 a year on it. It seems every little thing costs a thousand: tires, fuel tank, brake lines, clutch, etc. and etc. In the same period I drove a diesel Mercedes 160k miles and spent far less on it. By the way, I have no regrets. A thou per year is pretty cheap to drive a diesel truck. Your F150 will be cheaper. The IDI will be more fun. A Mercedes 300sd (1985 or earlier) is more practical.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

The f150 I have has become a mostly hate relationship. Its the 5.4 3 valve that had bad plugs (600 bucks to fix). fixed fuel driver, has the bad cam phasers, broken spring and coils, 5 coil packs, driveshaft cant get new u joint because they are pinned so its got a vibration right now that needs attention, all window regulators, an so on. its rusted out like no other one i have seen for the year even though I tried to care for it. Honestly taking a step back it everything besides the cam phasers is fixed and probably not a bad car. I am just over it. worst year they made for the f150 on carcomplaints.com

The mercedes does sound like a nice car but arent the parts reallly expensive and hard to get? Insurance on the older ones is ridiculous since no air bags. Kiddos probably safer in a truck though right.. :)

When i say ridiculous i mean it was only 100 less for liability coverage on the rabbit vs full on the f150.

Last edited:

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK hear ya on the F150, wife had the ultimate Explorer lemon. The Mercedes parts are actually plentiful and cheap, but the key is to have a reasonable independent mechanic or repairs can be cost prohibitive. Harder now is to find a good car. You can get one for $3000 and after spending a couple thousand to make it daily drivable it is worth $3000. Heavy car though, very safe and always felt so with my small kid riding and insurance cheap at least in MA. The truck is even safer, due to its mass. Mine weights 6820 lbs empty. So go get that IDI, you know you want it. I had mine for sale twice but there is no way sell it cheap just to get rid of it.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on my phone and forgot i took some pictures... I also forgot that I noticed a very small leak from the front seal area. if its small enough i dont care and will just add some.

You must be registered for see images attach

The pan looks like its soaked in oil but its not. weird shadow?

oily transfer

concern?

Last edited:

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is if you are planning on having kids look for a 4 door. child seats do not fit in the back of super cab very well. I sold my super cab and put together a crew cab when my daughter was about 1. I was using it as a daily driver for about 2 years running a mix of wmo and driving about 250 miles a week. the truck needs some major work right now (swapping engine) but it will be my daily driver again soon. I would rather drive my truck than my subaru outback.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 on a crew cab.
i have a 15 yr old, a 5 yr old and 2 on the way.
i actually cut up my crew cab, and added a few more doors to it.
another plus is that when the kid is being a pain, you can throw him/her in the crew cab and let it idle in the driveway and the rattle will quickly put them to sleep
(atleast i hope)
i purchased my IDI because i was tired of messing with the electronics and emissions of the PSD's
its been a really fun project, and pretty reliable.
the only time its left me stranded is yesterday when my fuel pump took a crap.
as a man that enjoys projects as a hobby, and have been building gassers for a long time.
ive set all my other cars on the side while i get my truck tip top.
been a fun ride.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True the backseat is a royal pain in the ass but car seat days are numbered. A small kid can jump back there like nothing and buckle up in comfort. My 6 year old was very comfy driving across the country. Now nobody ever rides back there. It is dry secure storage. I know guys like their crew cabs but they are LONG. Plus harder to find clean in 4x4 and more expensive. Mine is already way longer than I would like often making me wish for a regular cab and the turning radius sucks. It can be a challenge to park. (Try Boston). For the crew cab you need two parking spaces.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2800 seems steep to me for an x-cab E4OD truck...

These take well to WMO but a 6 mile trip might not be enough to get up to temp to switch over to WMO.

We need to hear about the service history... It may be due for a fuel system refresh, which would be around 6-900

As a daily/work beater I wouldn't worry about the kiddos. If it was your kid hauler i'd jump on the 4 door bandwagon. Use the Mrs' Murano until it's replaced with another spacious, safe SUV with side/curtain airbags.

Last edited:

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2800 seems steep to me for an x-cab E4OD truck...

Maybe, but... you know what I noticed? Everybody wants to by a truck cheap but not one person I know wants to sell theirs for $2800. KBB is at $3400 which is some approximate indication of value.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i prefer to find these for under a grand, with a blown engine or trans, or back reg'd
if ya wait long enough, you can find some killer deals out there,
and since you may have to pull the engine, its a great way to know exactly whats going into your truck!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THE POINT OF THIS POST IS TO SHOP AROUND!!!
DO NOT SETTLE ON 1 TRUCK BEFORE YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
these can be found cheaply...
i searched for 10-15 min and found these trucks, all under your budget
some for so damn cheap, i wanna get in my truck, hook the trailer up and go pick up a few!!!
gotta have some self control tho. i dont need any more projects right now!!! lol

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4959168755.html

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/4956530883.html

http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/4932715417.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4961508718.html

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/4952484264.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4948709509.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4965829475.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4960001855.html <<<<<< IF YOU DONT LOOK AT ANY OF THESE, ATLEAST LOOK AT THIS ONE

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Sell the 04 truck and get an IDI, cheaper all around and more reliable. Be aware on a 30 year old vehicle you're going to have some catch up on maintenance from previous owners neglect. Even then, neglect and work you'll have to do doesn't mean it's not reliable and will leave you stranded like a new vehicle will if you look at it wrong or sneeze. These old trucks are very forgiving and won't leave you walking.

On the one you're looking at... I would avoid a truck with cavitation, if that one has it, as you're looking at sleeving it or a new block and at that point you may as well do a proper rebuild. Not a deal breaker but there are better options unless he's practically giving it away and you have the time and space for major projects right away.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 92 crew cab, and an 04 f-150. I can speak a little to what you are facing. My f-150 is my work truck. Regular cab, with a 4.6. Much better than the 5.4 of the same year. No engine troubles at all save for a few coil packs along the way. Transmission lost overdrive 3 years ago, but I just turn it off and drive on. One of these days I will replace it when it quits moving altogether.

I have spent more money on my 92 crew cab, but I bought it for 900 bucks with the wrong transmission in it. It was a heap, but I have it pretty good now.

To be honest, I like driving my idi better than the newer truck, but I don't think I can sell either of them. I'm getting the idi too nice to work out of and the f-150 has been paid off for 3 years and hasn't left me stranded yet.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online