Newbie decision for vehicle

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I own a 92 crew cab, and an 04 f-150. ... I have spent more money on my 92 crew cab, but I bought it for 900 bucks with the wrong transmission in it. It was a heap, but I have it pretty good now. ... the f-150 has been paid off for 3 years

Something doesn't add up. You've spent more on a $900 truck than one you had a loan for? I'd bet you've spent a lot more on the new f-150 than your IDI, both in total dollars and dollars per mile too if you drive it more than Sundays. I kind of figure every 80-97 Ford is about a $10k truck, whether you buy it for $10k or $500. Still about 1/5 the cost of a comparable new truck.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something doesn't add up. You've spent more on a $900 truck than one you had a loan for? I'd bet you've spent a lot more on the new f-150 than your IDI, both in total dollars and dollars per mile too if you drive it more than Sundays. I kind of figure every 80-97 Ford is about a $10k truck, whether you buy it for $10k or $500. Still about 1/5 the cost of a comparable new truck.

Touché salesman! (Family guy reference)

True on the payment....bought it for 10,900 about 8 years ago.

Simply talking about the last three years. I paid off the f150 about 4 months before I bought my idi. Payments were not taken into consideration, but perhaps should have been.

Like I said though, for my needs, the newer truck is a better every day work truck. The idi is my favorite truck though. I have probably spent more money on the idi because I like it better!

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, all of your replies did not show up in my email! The shop around point, I agree and have been looking for roughly 2.5 weeks. While it isn't the longest, I feel I have seen every vehicle on craigslist and driving to cali for a 1990s vehicle isnt worth it no matter how clean it is, it would have to be free. I was looking heavily in FL and making a trip out of it with the mrs but I have one that came from texas.

Long story short, It is sitting in my driveway after a longgg test drive and I am $2600 lighter and up one vehicle.. Only things that stood out are the GP relay clicking and the needle bouncing like a bad glow plug.

As for the Ford and Murano, they have been both payed off for a while thankfully so anything now is positive. The wife likes the new terrains so I have an eye on one with 1800 miles. Everyone should be happy for now :). Just need to try the car seats in the back next.

Off to get all the standard new vehicle items (oil, filters, etc)

Here we go.

Thanks guys ;Sweet

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck,i think some idi people are a lil off,i know its true i have 2 of them,lol,i have put a a ton of money in parts in bertha but she has never seen a hook and allways got me home,did a 2000 mile ride a couple months ago,enjoy,adding a turbo to it will make it a lot more drivable also

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Enjoy it. I actually enjoy working on mine still. Hope you do too!

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, all of your replies did not show up in my email! The shop around point, I agree and have been looking for roughly 2.5 weeks. While it isn't the longest, I feel I have seen every vehicle on craigslist and driving to cali for a 1990s vehicle isnt worth it no matter how clean it is, it would have to be free. I was looking heavily in FL and making a trip out of it with the mrs but I have one that came from texas.

Long story short, It is sitting in my driveway after a longgg test drive and I am $2600 lighter and up one vehicle.. Only things that stood out are the GP relay clicking and the needle bouncing like a bad glow plug.

As for the Ford and Murano, they have been both payed off for a while thankfully so anything now is positive. The wife likes the new terrains so I have an eye on one with 1800 miles. Everyone should be happy for now :). Just need to try the car seats in the back next.

Off to get all the standard new vehicle items (oil, filters, etc)

Here we go.

Thanks guys ;Sweet

Congratulations! Enjoy and never look back. (Please maintain the coolant additives).

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck,i think some idi people are a lil off,i know its true i have 2 of them,lol,i have put a a ton of money in parts in bertha but she has never seen a hook and allways got me home,did a 2000 mile ride a couple months ago,enjoy,adding a turbo to it will make it a lot more drivable also

Never saw a hook? Wow... let me see... 1) dropped a serpentine on the highway, 2) lift pump failure, 3) clutch failure, 4) snapped a tie rod off-road, 5) stuck on the beach, 6) dropped a drive shaft on the expressway in downtown Boston, probably I am forgetting something... Cape Cod Muscle knows my truck very well.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score

$10k is a good number. I spent it and am currently drive anywhere status... unless something breaks.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it around with the mrs. SHe cracks me up. She is worried that its so long it will crack in half (thats what she said?). she's weird but all mine hah. Only concern I have atm is little studder at low rpm and speed in the trans and maybe a front caliper but otherwise she seems healthy. I did notice that it doesn't get up to temp according to the guage but who knows if that is accurate at this point. Im tearing into it slowing. need to focus on selling some now and make her happy.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most guys put a temp gauge to read real degrees. The factory gauge will creep up just a bit so the needle is touching the "N" when it is fully warm.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the oil filter you can use the powerstroke filter Motorcraft FL-1995, it is taller but screws right on. Cheap at Walmart.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Drove it around with the mrs. SHe cracks me up. She is worried that its so long it will crack in half (thats what she said?).

Bizarre, that's a new one by me. I actually did crack a stepside in half though. Went into a puddle quick, water all over the windshield and got tossed down across the seat and foot caught on throttle to the floor. Couldn't see reaching for wipers... Instead of the flat I took a birm and according to my buddy was about 6' in the air wide open and it was downhill from there. Cracked bottom and side of frame rails on each side right behind the cab and blew a shock mount clean off the frame. Truck caught fire two days later. Shame, was a nice truck.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIoit, you are looking in Cali, where these things are cheap. I have foudn trucks really take a premium in MI. Pretty damn hard finding a 3/4+ pickup under 3k around here

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never saw a hook? Wow... let me see... 1) dropped a serpentine on the highway, 2) lift pump failure, 3) clutch failure, 4) snapped a tie rod off-road, 5) stuck on the beach, 6) dropped a drive shaft on the expressway in downtown Boston, probably I am forgetting something... Cape Cod Muscle knows my truck very well.

a buddy of mine drove the truck the day it came off the lot and installed the utility bed,i bought it from the second owner after it sat for 6 years,ive replaced allmost everything on the truck,i limped it home with a really leaky radiator,drove it to my buddys shop with the rear drums smoking(had to replace every thing including the drums never heard of a rab valve before this happened)starter died in my yard,driving 2000 miles a couple months ago the clutch cyl blew out in the middle of no where in 20-25 degree weather 300 miles from home aabout sunset,i drove it on home,ive had my fair share of issues with the truck but she never left me stranded,lol,but she does what ever i need her to do except driving on the ice,o well,and the governor(my better half)wont let me sell her

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDIoit, you are looking in Cali, where these things are cheap. I have foudn trucks really take a premium in MI. Pretty damn hard finding a 3/4+ pickup under 3k around here

these are pretty cheap.... most are cheaper than in cali...
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4903137225.html
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/4926889323.html
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4921066176.html
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/4953331130.html
http://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/4934637847.html
http://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/4945043351.html

again the bottom line is that there are deals out there to be had!!!!
all you gotta do is wait for em' ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online