Newbie ? 4 sp. Manuals in '86 F-350

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Amen, that's alot of info for one time. So basically what y'all are saying is, it isn't the original trans, unless someone at Ford got liquored up on their break, but it could be, but more likely not? Did I catch that right. LOL, this site is awesome. Most likely if I can find a 5 sp. I want to put it in the truck anyway. Are there any stock 5 sp. that will hold up behind a diesel usually pulling a 18' stock trailer with 5,000#'s of horses on? Are they a direct bolt in or are modifications necessary?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen, that's alot of info for one time. So basically what y'all are saying is, it isn't the original trans, unless someone at Ford got liquored up on their break, but it could be, but more likely not? Did I catch that right. LOL, this site is awesome. Most likely if I can find a 5 sp. I want to put it in the truck anyway. Are there any stock 5 sp. that will hold up behind a diesel usually pulling a 18' stock trailer with 5,000#'s of horses on? Are they a direct bolt in or are modifications necessary?

You assume that the line workers just get liquored up on breaks?

The 87+ trucks came with a 5 speed (4 + OD) bolted to the diesel so it's more-or-less a bolt in with the right parts. However the 5 speed is quite a bit less durable than the 4 speed is. In particular, it has problems with synchronizers.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Gotcha, in that case I may just stick with a 4 sp. then. 65 mph is about as fast as I need to go anyway.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Well you brought up the third 4 speed option, the NP435. From what I can see, the NP is only available with smallblock 2wd or smallblock 4wd with a divorced transfer case.

"You can recognize the NP435 by it's single piece, aluminum, bolt-on top cover with the shifter sticking directly out of the top and a fitting on the driver's side for the back up light switch. Most have the letters "NP" inside a circle cast into the cover. The NP435 is sometimes hard to tell from the similar looking T18 or T19. One way to check is with a magnet, which won't stick to the aluminum top cover of the NP435. The NP435 also has the PTO cover plate on the passenger's side. Weight is approximately 120 lbs."

the np435 in my bronco (behind a 400) does not have a divorced transfercase. from what i know they are a popular swap into earlier broncos. i know some guys claimed they were as strong or stronger than the t-18. i guess this is all beside the point from the original post though.

does anybody have any info that the t-19 is actually built stronger than the t-18??

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, I missed that one, the 435 was available in married apps.
The only info I have that suggests that the 19 is stronger is that Ford used it in the medium/heavy duty trucks(F600+ and B and C series) along with the 435, whereas they didn't offer the T18 in them.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Ok, looks like I was wrong on the T-19 not bein' syncro'd in reverse.

So how 'bout this?

T-18 used behind the gassers from '80?-'92 with code F.
T-19 used behind the diesels from '84?-'87 with code P. (replaced in '88 with the ZF).

Adrianspeeder

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i guess that what sparks up good conversation:D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The T-18 (non syncro first/reverse) and T-19 (syncro first/reverse) share the same ratios. There isn't a syncro non creeper used with anything other than a 302 (SROD/TOD) in a truck.

So I suggest you ignore the missinfo from "another site", and settle in for the straight info here ;Sweet

Adrianspeeder

I am confused by your statement "There isn't a syncro..." as this is not the case in my truck, it DEFINETELY has a T19 and reverse and first are not even close. It does NOT have a creeper first gear as I can easily hit 15 MPH in first with my truck, stock size tires and all - which is not a creeper by any means, oh, and I have 4.10's. My buddy has a 460 truck, it HAS a creeper gear, 5 MPH turning about 5,000 RPM. So if you are saying my truck MUST have a creeper gear because it has a T19, then you are wrong. If that is not what you are saying, then you need to clarify that statement! :D

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to say there isn't a synchronized non granny low tranny used with the big trucks. Personally I define anything over 4:1 as a granny low.

Adrianspeeder

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it the defining difference is synchro or non for first gear. The purpose of having a non synchro first is to prevent downshifting into first gear while moving, which would be destructive with a very low first gear ratio.

The different gear ratios and PTO port openings can be whatever the various manufacturer's order. And indeed there were different gearing ratios available for Fords in different years, motors etc.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget also that there is a T-19, and then there is the T-19B. We have the "B" version. Which unfortunately, I forget the exact meaning of, but I think it has to do with different ratios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online