newbee- hi guys some ideas...

cfm

Reaction score
hi guys- im new to this forum, and i see you all have quite some experiance with the 5.9 12 cummins.
i have my motorhome with a 5.9, ve pump, but it only puts out 130bhp..
i would like to beef up the performance some, although i have a rebuilt ve pump( i reckon the veggie oil took its toll) and i havent seen a inline pump for this cummins engine in the uk..
what are the "quick tweaks" to get more ooompf out of the pump/engine?
i managed to get hold of some brand new "180 hp" injectors, o.e. bosch ones, so i reckon that a few tweaks would go down well.
the r.v.s weight is 6.5 tonnes, so torque is what its all about.
i am quite interested in the "waste oil" malarky- over here diesel fuel is £1 A LITRE!!!!!!!!
i am looking into getting "red diesel" i.e. heating oil- as its taxed lower, and bunging some waste engine oil in to "cover up" the red color- btw, if you get caught running on heating oil, it can cost you 10000 dollers in fines...
cfm is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Messagecookoo

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Welcome, there are lots of things to do to this engines for power.
First You need GAUGES, pyrometer, boost, water and tranny temp are the most common if You don't have them already.

Then You can turn the fuel screw, improve the intake and air filter (don't really know what You have there) and if You are a 'diy' grind Your own fuel pin or just buy a modified one.

This simple mods cost little and will wake the baby up.

cfm

Reaction score
right- so i will need a pyrometer( to measure exhaust gas temps) and guages to measure turbo boost.
where is the "fuel pin"??
what does it control??
i read some about govorner springs different to get higher rpm, whats the low down on that story??

cfm

Reaction score
yeah , also, i have ripped off the standard rusty, holed, old piece of junk air filter box, and put a k n type affair on, so she ll breathe ok there.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
what kind of trans do you have hooked up to the motor?
that also may be a limiting factor of what you can do.
if it is an allison auto, you might want to make sure the hp rating on it, or you will have a gooey paperweight.

cfm

Reaction score
nahh

5 speed manual box- it seems ok..
so whats the crack running sump/atf in your trucks??
i mean the sump oil- is that the "black diesel"??
its really expensive over here and im looking to get my cummins running on cheaper fuel..
whats the low down????

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 speed manual box- it seems ok..
so whats the crack running sump/atf in your trucks??
i mean the sump oil- is that the "black diesel"??
its really expensive over here and im looking to get my cummins running on cheaper fuel..
whats the low down????
even if you filter the stuff down to 5microns, you are still introducing fine grit into your fuel system. the downside is a shortened life span on the injection pump and injectors.

cfm

Reaction score
so

basically, offsetting the price of pump and injectors against fuel prices??

cfm

Reaction score
well its just maths

-- a replacement pump head from bosch costs about 400 dollers here- you can get exactly the same thing made in china for 22 dollers, buy the book on the pump, or dvd , and do it yourself..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's been guys here running WMO for at least three years now and they have yet to kill a pump and injectors. There are plenty of reports of bad stuff happening when you run straight WMO with no diesel cut. I've lived/worked in China and have seen how they treat their diesels. We can thrash on ours and still get good service out of them.
btw, they do know how to make good diesel parts over there. they have had plenty of practice already;Sweet

cfm

Reaction score
yeah i reckon so..
a rebuilt exchange ve pump i was quoted 1600 usd here- i checked out some chinese company, they make the parts dirt cheap..
do you guys use atf, or hydraulic oil with diesel aswell??
i used waste veggie oil- cos here diesel is about10usd a gallon..cut it with diesel, filtered, run a 75percent veggie mix, but i was having problems in the end- bad starting, loss of power etc, clogged filters big time-seperater full of ****, in the end my ve pump was f""""ked.
you see guys, fuel is horrifically expensive here, today 1.45usd per litre...so ive got to be inventive in finding cheaper fuel.
i love the cummins 12v- brilliant engine, plenty of torque, and the solid reputation, cast iron head, gear drive , direct injection... actually they use them in tractors in europe..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how about posting a pic of what you got?;Sweet
the pump on the cummins doesn't tolerate fuel starvation at all, so proper feeding is imperative. check out the alternative fuels section in the forums and you'll get some ideas of filtration systems we've come up with. Prices here have come down for a while (2.19/USgal 29/12/08) so there isn't the push in the alternate dept like I've seen about six months ago. I couldn't imagine what would happen if we see $10/gal...$5/gal put our economy to a halt, double that and we will be done and so will the rest of the world.

Whit

Reaction score
easy mod to help feed your VE pump

Shimming the fitting with a 3/16 spacer behind the spring in the fuel regulator. This is located on the right hand side of the fuel filter. You will see a 3/4 brass nut there. The spring is inside there. Shimming will raise the fuel pressure and often give you a worthwhile increase in power and no one that I can recall has reported higher fuel consumption.

Adding fuel pressure gauge:

Something else to do is to buy a fuel pressure gauge out of JEG's and just have it permanently attached all the time. You can unscrew the schrader valve and just screw in a fuel pressure gauge. You can buy them for up to 100-160 psi.

cfm

Reaction score
cool guys thanks-- i can see my truck now- its a 12v cummins they put in daf trucks over here..
my cummins has a filter on the engine block there is no remote filter assembly-
do you mean on the pump itself??

cfm

Reaction score
i have a fuel guage - a goody aswell, she pulls ok for 6.5tonnes, but i would love some extra grunt-btw, i have some brand new "higher" bhp injectors- bosch ones, as my pump was f***ed, i reckoned the injectors could do with changing- as its a prison truck, i suppose it was getting minimum services, and the pump and injectors are from new- i.e.500000kms now, so i suppose they have done their time.. no smoke or anything,enginewise,:thumbsup: and with this refurbished pump i have, new 'jectors, a few tweaks, she could be a road burner..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online