New truck; milky oil, hard start.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That first pic is the timing magnetic probe locations when timing these engine. Look closely at the fat short probe. Clean off the dirt and you will see thats the top dead center for # 1 cylinder firing. We do not use that location for timing. We use the tall skinny probe location. On the harmonic dampner is a machined line cut in the wheel. Thats where the magnetic probe picks up the signal when timing.

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed the oil in my truck, she blows tons of blue smoke on highway and black when stepped on (poured a ton of diesel kleen in too). Checked the oil like 3 days later and a big grey steak was on the stick. So it leaking coolant. Any advice on what is casuing this. It leaks oil bad too, so does that point to one paticular thing wrong? Becasue there is lots of things that can casue coolant leaks as talked about above.. Its a 1994 factory turbo with 210k
- Will

She also cold starts and runs like a champ. 10 below and fired right up with block heater.

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does not seem to be, just flushed the system, still looks clean and no oil on the cap.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water in coolant can be a product of cavitation or a crack or blown HG or bad oil cooler or even something as simple as a loose bolt on water pump for that matter.

Is your coolant level going down if so I'd recommend a thorough investigation of the issues with compression test, leak down test if possible, This can tell you plenty if you have the capability to do them.

As I've said read read read Willy there is tons of info here especially in FAQ and tech sections. Most of the questions you need to find answers to are in there.

As for leaking oil you say it leaks but not from where and that is not helpful to us to help you. I'm thinking that this truck was ridden hard, put away wet loose and worn out from what I'm hearing and seeing.

FYI this could turn into a HUGE investment on your part in TIME first and foremost and in $$$$ too. I'm hoping it's some simple stuff but sounds more complex as we go along.

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant does not seem to be going down, will do a proper measuring tomorrow to make sure. That's the thing, I don't know where its leaking. Its in the back of the engine I think. After 30min idle there was three drips directly below the fro t of the oil pan and on the I beam. Others where by the flywheel. After a 30 min after shut off the oil puddle grew and stopped. Checked the next morning and seemed to be the same. So I was just seeing if what I said pointed a direct arrow to one part in particular that could be causing the blue smoke/oil leak. This truck was owned by a kid I indirectly knee as a idiot, thrashed the hell out of this truck for sure. But I got it for cheap so I figured what the hell! Haha

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That sounds like the water pump. Pushes coolant out while running/pressurized, stops when coolant pressure bleeds off.
The fan can blow the coolant back.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online