New truck-first diesel ever-a little help?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Do I need to fill my filter with oil before installing it?

you don't need to but it greatly reduces the time it takes to build oil pressure. my truck without pre-filling the filter would take about 10 seconds to build pressure. with pre-filling the filter it takes maybe 5 seconds and that is with the psd filter. i got my filter from walmart for $10.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Heard not-great things about the Motorcraft 1995, even though I'm using one for now. Doing a very-short-interval oil change after opening the engine up for head gaskets and IP/valley pan, etc. No doubt some crud fell in.

Huh? Wanted to make sure it'd fit in my E, and, hey, cheap at WalMart. Baldwin filter now standing by for after the short change.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What bad things have you heard about the motorcraft 1995 oil filters. Many members here use them and I'm sure many would like to read what you may know about these filters.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Well, icanfixall, just what I'd heard from Hydro-idi (sorry, Ian!!). I recall he said that he'd had one that leaked badly, and some problem with another I don't remember. Guess you'd have to ask him.

Glad to hear that the 1995s work better than that.

I'll keep running Baldwin, though. I think they're worth the extra 3 bucks.