New to me 96 'stroke

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through all 81 pages of 7.3L 'stroke threads looking for information. The common theme seems to be carry a cps, ratchet, and 10mm socket in the glovebox.

I also seem to understand that the international cps is better than the ford cps....... anybody got the part number (I am leased on to an International dealer and can get my parts for cost.)

Anyways........

96 F-350 Crew Cab Dually with 232,***. Drives straight down the road, no vibrations, rides like a school bus, no black smoke. has 1 window that doesn't go down.

Paid to have a used car inspection done and they couldn't really tell me anything I couldn't see for myself.

has a coolant leak at the thermostat housing and an oil leak either at the from seal or the oil pan. Also has a transmission fluid leak at the pan and weak batteries (It sat for 2 months without being started, fired almost right off and started running smooth after 15sec. this is all the could find with it....... really......). Engine is covered with oil. They saw no evidence of fuel leaks but I can smell fuel walking around it so it is leaking fuel somewhere (pass side, between the front corner of the bed and the fender).

Has a rattling in the front that keeps time with the unmistakable diesel rattle....... the Engine actually sounds alot like my Cummins ISX.

Powersteering pump feels weak while sitting still, I can't recall if my foot was on the brakes or not.... but this is un-acceptible there has got to be a way to fix that.

here is what bothers me. It appears to be OBD1...... They could not find an OBD2 port and told me not all 96 trucks got OBD2, some where OBD1 so they could not scan it...... I thought OBD2 was a mid year change in 95 for Ford.... so where does that leave me on reprogramming the ecm?

I will be picking it up next saturday (takes a week to get a cashier's check from the account I am using to pay for this)

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all powerstrokes were obd2.the obd 2 port is located under the glovebox pointing down at the floor and is clearly visible.

for the window that wont go down.could be a stuck window motor from sitting.you can try hitting the inside of the door with your hand while holding the button down or replacing the motor.could also be a broken wire in one of the door jamb harnesses.

all the ford parts for the stroke are rebagged IH parts for usualy twice the cost of IH.stay away from the grey CPS use the black one.not sure on part numbers.but the difference is 100 bux on the price.grey one is 50bux.

coolant leak.there is an oring around the tstat that can leak.the water neck is also known to leak,they rot out sometimes.if you replace the tstat it is a ford/ih only part.the aftermarkets from autozone are known to cause over heating problems.

the oil leak can be a few things.first hit a car wash and degrease the whole motor.its not common for stroke to leak from the front or rear seals.the pan doesnt use a gasket.but the dipstick adapter is prone to leaks.there is a big nut on it that you can try to tighten.its on the passengers side of the oil pan where the dipstick goes in.cant miss it.but the oil pans rot out as well.

there is nothing on the passngers side near the bed to leak fuel.unless your front tank is leaking,you may smell it on the passengers side.may have a leak on top of the motor.anything that leaks up there runs down the passengers side of the motor and can be blown to the back of the truck.

the rattle.is it a 5 speed or automatic.if 5 speed its almost definately the flywheel.if not fixed it can snap the crank and or crack the bellhousing of the tranny.

being an f350 the brakes have nothing to do with the power steering.up to 99 only the 450 had the hydroboost brakes.is the pump whining?how far can you turn the steering wheel before it starts to move the tires?may need a steering box or pump.but fords have always had a kinda stiff steering.also remember it has a stabilizer shock on the steering that may need to be replaced as well.

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Posting from my phone and that tends to **** me off so this will short.

96 crew cab dually with automatic. Future 4x4 swap with a coil sprung D60 and zf.

this may be my imagination but I think my 7.3 idi turbo was faster...........

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Posting from my phone and that tends to **** me off so this will short.

96 crew cab dually with automatic. Future 4x4 swap with a coil sprung D60 and zf.

this may be my imagination but I think my 7.3 idi turbo was faster...........

stock theyre about equal.put a 3"down pipe on it with a 4"system,DIY open intake,spend a dollar at radio shack for a pack resistors for the 10k mod and youll run circles around an idi.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck! You will love it. You will notice a big diff if you do the exhaust (straight pipe if your state allows it) and DIY intake using the donaldson open element airfilter. I havnt gotten around to doin the 10k mod but hope to soon. Heard great things about it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your fuel leak/smell is prolly coming from the drain valve on the filter, the orings start leaking. A new valve is around $62, o'rings about $2.00. IH has them. I think the pics I'm posting are for the 96, may help.

Visit this for part numbers and other things. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Attachments

• OilSystemFlowDiagram 02 7.3.jpg
    OilSystemFlowDiagram 02 7.3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 11
  • engine%20parts.jpg
    engine%20parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 16
  • PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Forum statistics