New to me 94 IDIT rescue.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the advice @towcat . I'm sure the subject of the issue with the springs andathe d60 coversion has been beat to death . I did a little searching in the forums but am still wondering how the amount of upwars travel is different with these and the d60 vs the d50 ttb. The resting point of the suspension would be the same with both setups correct?
Irregardless, I get this is a big issue that needs to be addressed and will be on top of the list .

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes the resting point is the same with both front ends, but the movement points are different. With the D60 solid axle, the wheels can only move up and down however much the springs let them. On the other hand, the IFS D50 doesn't use a solid "beam", it uses two "levers". Since the pivot points of the levers are inside the springs, the wheels on the outside will move farther than just the amount that the springs will since they are farther away from the pivot points.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the resting point is the same with both front ends, but the movement points are different. With the D60 solid axle, the wheels can only move up and down however much the springs let them. On the other hand, the IFS D50 doesn't use a solid "beam", it uses two "levers". Since the pivot points of the levers are inside the springs, the wheels on the outside will move farther than just the amount that the springs will since they are farther away from the pivot points.
you just took all the "fun" out of self discovery. :eek:
there's been a local shop that was offering "cheaper" solutions, but the results were criminally negligent. some of their bleedover has been washing up at my place. Unfortunately, I won't "fix" their fuckups other than essentially starting from scratch. the best one to date, is a F250 with a D60 conversion shows up from the other shop and in order to compensate for the oem 4" lift blocks, the shop sells him on a RSK kit. Yes, you heard me right. Rather than replace the improper D50 springs, they sell him on a more expensive addition that does not address the spring issue. The best part is he brings it to me, gets my diagnosis and then wants me to fix it for free. I told him to get lost before I called him in for trespassing. This is the reason why I don't deal with the general public anymore.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had enough self descovery with the test drive and finding out about the death wobble first hand
Your run in with other shops and inferior work is something I have to deal with first hand myself all the time unfortunately. I restore vintage European cars for a living and am always surprised at what passes for good craftsmanship these days. I really appreciate the input and time you lend here .

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO , great description on the ttb pivot point difference.
This is first solid axle setup I've had and want to have it setup right so I will be on the lookout for a proper set of springs.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had enough self descovery with the test drive and finding out about the death wobble first hand
Your run in with other shops and inferior work is something I have to deal with first hand myself all the time unfortunately. I restore vintage European cars for a living and am always surprised at what passes for good craftsmanship these days. I really appreciate the input and time you lend here .
you're not into mini coopers are you?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO , great description on the ttb pivot point difference.
This is first solid axle setup I've had and want to have it setup right so I will be on the lookout for a proper set of springs.
Thanks. I try to put it so that the layman will understand as well as the master mechanic.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres always something new to learn no matter how much you think you might know!
@towcat , while minis arent our specialty Marquis we've had a few come through the shop for various things . They're fun as hell though especially with a hopped up 1275. Anything European and old enough to run knock off wheels is what I usually deal with.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres always something new to learn no matter how much you think you might know!
@towcat , while minis arent our specialty Marquis we've had a few come through the shop for various things . They're fun as hell though especially with a hopped up 1275. Anything European and old enough to run knock off wheels is what I usually deal with.
sold this guy to a restorer up in Redding a coupld of years back.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That could be fun too, but I was thinking Mazda Miata Monster. Just with a little more "vintage".

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool! And getting very hard to find solid candidates for restoration. Can't say that one has been through here though, there are a couple shops here that do euro cars and we do have a mini club so perhaps it's one of the cars I've seen running around town. Would definitely be fun with a jdm swap or hyabusa:Thumbs Up
I'll divulge a little, just wrapping up this build on an ac ace and will have it shipped off soon. Bare metal nut and bolt resto.
My truck will never look this good but with some elbow grease I'll have it at least in running order soon

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, another update on the slow progress here .I managed to get the beast moved under it's own power the other evening. Did great for a maiden voyage.. well great meaning nothing broke or caught on fire. Have some electrical gremlins to work out aside from the front end needing attention, no dash lights, no brake lamps. Bit wobbly still on the steering but handles fine below or above 45mph. The big win is with it finally in the driveway I can dedicate whatever free time I have to making it ready for daily driver duty .