New to me 94 IDIT rescue.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most excellent!
Nice rig! I would like to do a headache rack at some point.
I'm definitely fortunate in finding this one it was a cant pass it up matter for sure.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Well. Slow progress as usual. Kids and wife have priority time shares haha. And we're expecting our latest addition, another baby boy any day now. But tinkering away when I can. Gutted the rest of the big parts from the cab and moving towards reassembly. The gauge cluster survived the fire but Was cooked pretty badly . You can see the contrast where I cleaned the soot off. Everything works though, except the tach, I had that working intermittently when she was running but couldn't get it to function all the time. Cleaning it up and chasing the wires hoping to find a bad connection and hoping the heat didn't ruin anything internally.

You must be registered for see images attach

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the wires for the tack where they go into the pickup on top of the timing cover. They tend to wear the insulation off and short out. Could also be a bad or dirty pickup.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s bad just pop it out and replace with a junkyard unit. The speedometer works from any gasser that is same era

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I think I'll end up re wiring the whole length .pretty crispy
Scored a camper shell too!

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slow progress. But a good note I though I'd share. The truck has been sitting for a few months due to lack of time. Finally found a few minutes and figured i would see if she started after not running for month or so, worried I might have a gelling issue as tank has 1/2 3 year old /1/2 new mix... Threw the batteries back in , cycled the glow plugs 3x for good measure, ambient temp was a balmy 40 degrees, were spoiled here in Cali.. Barely cranked over and she fired right up on all 8. Zero hesitation. Man I love this thing..
Hoping to have the pedal cluster rebuilt this weekend and at least get it to move again.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slow progress. But a good note I though I'd share. The truck has been sitting for a few months due to lack of time. Finally found a few minutes and figured i would see if she started after not running for month or so, worried I might have a gelling issue as tank has 1/2 3 year old /1/2 new mix... Threw the batteries back in , cycled the glow plugs 3x for good measure, ambient temp was a balmy 40 degrees, were spoiled here in Cali.. Barely cranked over and she fired right up on all 8. Zero hesitation. Man I love this thing..
Hoping to have the pedal cluster rebuilt this weekend and at least get it to move again.
Diesel(at least the older stuff) would last for 7-10 years easily. I've heard of issues with old fuel if it has biodiesel in it; that stuff can be somewhat unstable and break down over time.
Personal experience with old diesel though... I've fired up an IDI sitting for a good 10 years with the fuel that was in it, with just a new battery and some ether(no working glow plugs). It was rough and smokey at first took a bit of cranking... but it ran!

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shows how much I know about the basics of diesels. Thanks for clueing me in @Macrobb .
No progress on the pedal assembly this weekend. But got a huge score thanks to my brother in law. Dash assembly has been checked off the parts list. Still waiting on the heater core but it's on the way.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the clutch problem is between the pedal arm and the pushrod, there are two solutions. If the pushrod eyelet isn't all wallered out (ovalized or "egged out"), you can get some 1/2"OD x 7/16"ID brass tubing, and cut off a real short piece to slip in there as the bushing. Then assmble the arm to the pushrod, and put a 7/16" drill stop collar on the end of the "pin" on the arm, to keep it in place. I have both our '95s set up that way and they work great. You'll still have a bunch of the tubing left, so you can cut off more and replace the bushing as needed.

If the pushrod is worn/egged out from metal-on-metal contact, the next fancier option is to cut off the end of the pushrod and install a heim joint. There are people selling kits for it on eBay, but the individual parts are easily had at a well-stocked hardware, for a lot less.

If there's slop in the pivoting action of the pedal shaft itself, that pedal box bushing kit is available at the dealer. Similar to above, if the holes in the pedal box are worn from metal-on-metal, then I'd be looking for a replacement pedal box, at the boneyards or on the classifieds on this and the other truck forums.

Oh, and of course thank you for rescuing a two-tone, and bringing it back to life.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @madpogue . The pedal issue was the worst case scenario unfortunately and the pivot shaft wore clean through the bushing and into the housing itself. rather than risk finding another crusty housing and needing to rebuild it too I'm opting to improve on what I have. I've got some material set aside to turn a new bearing out of and just need to find the time to finish up the boss and Tig it into place on the housing .

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little side by side comparison of what came out vs the replacement.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Progress. Not much but I'll take it as it comes .
Wiring harness out and bring prepped to fit the dash before install. It's a mess but a good clean up and stitch should be good as new
On a side note. Been researching wmo as a fuel option. Plenty available in my trade and looking to supplement the 2nd tank with it when I can. Should be a fun learning experience

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the dash install a little further along today, posted that on another forum. Batteries installed for the final time. Damn things were a bit of a pain lugging back and forth to the truck for testing. But they've been relocated under the cab and access isn't so easy once they are tucked up in the mounts.
While finishing the install I thought I would look over the t-case again. Low and behold I found another hidden gem from the previous owner. I hadn't realized before but this truck has a 4407 unit not a 1356. Great to see as I was worried about the drivetrain having 350k plus on it and the imminent maintenance. Despite the shoddy wiring, someone really loved this truck and spent some time doing "certain" things right
Anyone have thoughts on this? Tried to look up pros vs cons between the two so far found its a beefier version of the 1356.
Now I'm curious about the transmission.