New to me 94 IDIT rescue.

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by ShadetreeV, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ShadetreeV

ShadetreeV Full Access Member

Thanks @Rossroams , I lucked out with this truck big time, and my wife is a fan of the two tone so bonus points there.. Not sure what the intercooler is out of but it's massive. Most likely a later power stroke unit . I'll get some pics for you next chance I have.
    On another note, I took it for my first joyride last night. First time driving an idi, and I'm hooked now. Holy crap is this thing fun. Runs like a scalded ape!
    Havent fixed the boost or pyro gauges yet but have them on the short list. Seat of the pants feel says it's making good power though.
    Of course a few things surfaced. I need to address the fuel system again. The IP needs a atf/MMO treatment. After the last run she stalled after I let off the throttle. Have a bit of a white haze under accel so I'm on the hunt for a timing setup as well , starts great hot or cold.
    Major death wobble! Scared the crap out of me when. I tapped the brakes coming out of 3rd. Found the track bar mount loose. Tightened that up, improved it but will be looking at all the other suspect items as I can still feel it in the wheel.
    Power steering has a leak, topped the fluid off and worked great.
    Trans and t-case are perfect. Shifts smoothly, the clutch fix worked wonders.
    Anxious as hell to start using this thing.

Rossroams likes this.
  2. Rossroams

Rossroams Full Access Member

That’s awesome man, looks like you found a gem. Lord knows my ZF has seen some crap in its day. And I hope you get the death wobble figured out! I’ve found a 2.25” intercooler pipe kit on eBay for like 70$ and it’s tempting me.

3. ShadetreeV

Well, finally another bit of progress. Kept loosing power steering, fluid escaping past the oring seal on the ps pump reservoir, as i already had the Ac pump off I opted to yard the whole adapter bracket. New pump and pulley installed .

IMG_20180707_104536594.jpg

4. ShadetreeV

Just a small update. Been a while since I posted. Family is priorities and a new baby have me working on everything but the truck at This point. Last night I was able to thrash and get the bracket reinstalled and managed to fire it up around midnight. After sitting again for a month she barked after a glowplug cycle and idled perfect. Fixed a boost leak at one of the connections to the intercooler. Boost and pyro guages still need to be rewired. New ps pump works but a new leak reared its head at the pressure side fitting and will now be replacing that too. New plan is to get a temp one day operation permit and move it to my house where I can actually spend some time on it.

5. TurboSurge

TurboSurge Full Access Member

Great thread! What is the blueish color paint code? Looking to repaint my 78 in that

6. saburai

saburai Full Access Member

I'm a little late to the party, but nice truck and good work! I've also recently bought a 94 XLT 4x4 idit but with a e4od which was what I wanted. Congratulations on the new baby, good luck with your project and welcome to the Forum!

7. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

You have your priorities straight then.