New to IDI in Michigan

banderso

Reaction score
Hello oilburners. Picked up a '93 F250 to replace my v10 dodge and pull my jeep around. It's a 4x4, extended cab, 7.3, zf5 with a dana 60 swap up front and 4.10s. It's a rust free California truck I had shipped out here. It was originally a factory turbo truck, but that motor was swapped by the previous owner due to low compression. I got the original motor with the truck, so at some point I'll transfer the turbo the the current motor.

So far I've only given it new batteries, new glow plugs, new track bar bushings, and fresh fluids. It still needs odds and ends, plus 3rd grinds on the downshift.

For the time being I'm not putting too much work into the truck. All my attention right now goes to finishing my jeep. In the next couple months my focus will hopefully shift to the truck, but for now I'm just enjoying driving it - it seems to suite me well.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome, which part of MI?
also..pics!?

banderso

Reaction score
Stockbridge MI.

No good pictures, but it's nothing special to look at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted already.. Welcome on board. The original engine seems to be a turbo type engine. They are a little different internally but... Nearly every part swaps to most any idi engine. Be sure to save the turbo engine. Can you tell us what the engine serial numbers are? They are located on the front corner of the block drivers side near the injection pump gear housing. Clean off some road dirt and post both engine numbers. We can tell you when it was made and if its a 6.9.. 7.3 non turbo or a 7.3 turbo engine. They all look almost exaclty the same.
What type new glow plugs did you install. After many years of trying all different brands. It has been determined that ONLY the Motorcraft ZD9 Beru will last. Champion and Autolite are a horrible plug and should never be used. They tend to burn out fast. Swell so they wont come out requiring the heads to come orr or swell and break off damaging the turbo if you have one or ruining the top of the pistons. Here is a pic of an engine I purchased where the fool ran the engine with a glow plug broken off in the cylinder.

Attachments

• DSC00032.JPG
    DSC00032.JPG
    591.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00030.JPG
    DSC00030.JPG
    550.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    495.3 KB · Views: 7

banderso

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes. And the linked article has some really good info.

Yes, I was told the original engine was a factory turbo, and the fender has a 'turbo diesel' badge. But I don't know where the replacement motor came from. I'll post the serial numbers after work tomorrow.

I put in Motorcraft Beru glow plugs - I've already learned that much from this forum. The set I pulled out were autolites. Fortunately a little pb blaster, a little patience, and some luck got them all out without issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for answering the question about glow plugs. Yes, you were very lucky to get those autolites out. Almost 15 years ago I paid a shop to replace my pump and injectors along with the glow plugs. I did not feel I could do that much idi work cause I was new like many that come here. Well the poor excuse for a shop and mechanic changed 7 of the 8 glow plugs. He left the number 7 plug in cause it was under the turbo. It was a Champion and he installed autolites. Well several burned out and I learned enough here to attempt this job. Well finding out how I got screwed sure hurt but at least I learned. I got the plugs out but... the champion was missing a big piece of the tip. I later found it went thru the turbo and ended up costing me a new turbo at 1100 bucks. Banks is not in the market to sell parts but will sell you another turbo. So I ended up with a rebuilt spare turbo and it took nearly 6 months to find a new shaft and hot side wheel.

banderso

Reaction score
Apparently the spare motor (which I thought was the factory original) is an 88. Serial number is 1809264C2. It does have a factory turbo attached though. There was an 88 user manual in the glove box, so I was kind of guessing the replacement (currently installed) was an 88. So small surprise there.

I'll have to check the number on the motor in the truck when I bring it home from work, probably this weekend.

Edit: or maybe I'm wrong and the number on the spare is 7.3T U2U 1131869

Last edited:

banderso

Reaction score
Welcome, I'm in Battle Creek.
Thanks. If you're ever out my way and see an ugly red truck, it might be me.

Number off the engine in the truck is 7.3D U2 U557174.

The previous owner didn't really nail the details of the d60 swap. So I ordered the correct f350 springs and pitman arm, along with new u bolts. Now I just need find a set of f350 height rear blocks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. If you're ever out my way and see an ugly red truck, it might be me.

Number off the engine in the truck is 7.3D U2 U557174.

The previous owner didn't really nail the details of the d60 swap. So I ordered the correct f350 springs and pitman arm, along with new u bolts. Now I just need find a set of f350 height rear blocks.
please post pics on your truck. did you buy it from the SF bay area?
I had a customer who owned a truck like yours. the previous shop he took his work to put on a D60 converson but kept the D50 springs on. To compensate for the droop, they sold him a RSK changeover. In short, there was no give to the suspension. I showed him the shop's mistake and he wanted me to fix the problem at a discount. Guess what? He's now an ex-customer. If I make a mistake, I eat it. I don't eat other people's errors. Take it back to them.

banderso

Reaction score
please post pics on your truck. did you buy it from the SF bay area?
I had a customer who owned a truck like yours. the previous shop he took his work to put on a D60 converson but kept the D50 springs on. To compensate for the droop, they sold him a RSK changeover. In short, there was no give to the suspension. I showed him the shop's mistake and he wanted me to fix the problem at a discount. Guess what? He's now an ex-customer. If I make a mistake, I eat it. I don't eat other people's errors. Take it back to them.
No kidding? If I remember right the previous owner was in Dixon. Story I got was that he bought it from a kid who trashed the original engine. Owner before me replaced the engine and put the 60 in. When I got it, the truck had an ugly headache rack, some purple tint on the rear windows, smoked headlights, and some stickers on the windshield along the driver side A pillar.
You must be registered for see images attach