new starter

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
got my rebuilt starter back and installed it tonight. truck cranks good now.;Sweet i also picked up some exhaust parts and will be installing them as soon as i find a straight-thru muffler that will fit. i'm going back to the stock system that worked and sounded so good years ago. running straight y-pipe has gotten old.:puke:

still have to investigate what i'm going to do about glow plugs. i want to go with 12v plugs this time.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal...Rob I have a flowmasters in mine at least that's what I was told and 3" ID from the cab back. Will be 3" all the way when I get the turbo put in. I can get you a pic of the **** and a sound clip if you want. I really want you to be the guinea pig for the AC Delco 12G plugs in our trucks. I don't see how you could hurt them with your manual system and only 12V of juice. They should be a bit more than ZD-1A plugs but less than the Lucas Constant Duty plugs. I would be using them if I still had the push button and 6.9 harness. Or you could convert to the solid state system.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i went with stock 2 1/2" pipe because it's cheap, i got all the pipe for 50 some bucks. cheap is the name of the game at this point. my NA wont know the difference. i have a 3" system on there now that is rusted out. the difference in performance when i put it on was more psychological than anything. plus i dont tow much or work this truck very hard anymore. project play toy :D

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i'll probably get flamed but i'll probably go with a glasspack. summit has one for 25 bucks.

i think i will try the Delco plugs. at least i'll see if in fact they fit and match up and all. seems like that should cure my GP woes.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should have 'em at Napa... or at least you should be able to order them. Be sure to get teh 12G though, not the 7G or 8G, they are 6v like the Berus and probably not as good. I'm 99% sure they will fit. All teh GM plugs are the same thread I think. One guy used a GM controller and 6.5TD PTC glow plugs in their 6.9 for a solid state conversion since it has spade conns. like the 6.9 harness.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be carefull with the GM glows... While they are all the same thread size as those for our engines, the taper may not be in the right place. I played around with this, and even bought a set of 6.5 glows(I forget what number, but, they were 12V, 150W, IIRC) and realized once I tried installing the first one that there was no way it was going to seal.
However, the 12G's will work nicely, I have a set of Autolite 1106's in a sapre 7.3, and other than being sloooooow, they work just fine. The spade is a bit narrower than the connector on the 6.9 system, but, that's no biggie.
If you need an app to give a counter dummy for these plugs, a 79 C10 with the 5.7 Diesel should get you the right ones.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thanks guys. i found a thrush glasspack at Advance yesterday. all my exhaust parts came in under 100 bucks :)

i will look into GPs next time i have extra cash. thanks again for the app for the counter ****

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oooooooooh a glasspack :D ;Sweet .my turbo IDI sounded sweet with the glasspack on it and 2 1/2" pipes.but she was too loud for doing repos.and i bought the junk ATS junk upgrade junk -cuss i shouldve stayed with the stock system and the glasspack.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i got my new exhaust on the truck tonight. it's nice to have my old truck back.;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Haha, I kinda feel like poking some holes in my muffler right now... :)

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
ranger, if you have the stock exhaust setup you can cut out the muffler and a 2 foot glasspack fits right in. dont worry about the offset, you dont need it.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
cleaned her up a little