New or Rebuild, Starter???

Mullet Man

Reaction score
I got the old starter pulled out of my 1986 f250 idi. There is a local guy that does pretty good work. I've a good sized budget, so what would be better, a new starter from Rock Auto or just have the old one rebuilt?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were going to get a rebuilt from the store I would say no. Having the local guy rebuild it might be a good option though. You know the new one is probably built in China, even though it would be new.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go with the local guy. If he is half as good as you say, it is a better deal. Diesels are ******* Starters.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The local guy will be best. If it comes back it comes out of his pocket. The chinese kids rebuilding them dont care.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a powermaster 9050 on my truck yesterday and I'm very impressed. It's built in the USA too! Payed 191$ shipped on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually just replaced my starter yesterday with a rebuilt one from autozone. It was 205$ but if you say you have an account (local repair shop name) it came out to 100$ with a waived core charge! But omg what a difference in the truck. Literally spins over twice as fast. I think a lot of my heatsoak hard start issues are cured as it spins so fast now I haven't had to use water on ip once

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very common problem fixed with a new starter. 6.0's won't start unless the starter spins the engine over *** rpms. I think *** = 500 rpms but I am not sure. :)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Very common problem fixed with a new starter. 6.0's won't start unless the starter spins the engine over *** rpms. I think *** = 500 rpms but I am not sure. :)

Dave,

Bit off topic, but an upgrade for the 6.0 starter is a 6.4 starter. They spin faster. If heard both a 6.4 and a 6.0 with a 6.4 starter and they are noticeably faster than my 6.0 with the standard / factory starter.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good to know Scott! Thanks a bunch! :D. I am still on the factory starter.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to the OP, local rebuild is best.

I've even done garage rebuilds on these starters; typically, it's just worn brushes. Sometimes, it's not even that, just crud making poor connections and drag.
I've taken a starter that wasn't as fast as I'd like, cleaned and re-greased it... and it made a *massive* difference in cranking speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online