New oil dipstick???

FX4 Level2

NEEDS A DIESEL
Reaction score
junkyard if you wanna go on the cheap, than there is always ford.. checkout lmc truck.. maybe but i doubt they will have something

and any aftermarket dipstick (autozone / napa)you may buy u need the original to set the stick length..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beware that there are 3 different styles of dipstick in the IDI family. To be sure you will have a good match, you might want to try and get the tube also.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
What are the three types? I have one with a taipered end, and the 7.3 one has a flat end that is not taipered. Not sure if you can use the one for the 6.9 in the 7.3, but you can not use the 7.3 one in the 6.9. And my reason for logging on today.

I NEED ONE FOR MY 6.9.

SWS

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 1 piece tubes, two piece tubes, and tubes that bolt to the manifold, and tubes that bolt to the valve cover. Hmm... maybe there are 4 versions. LOL Really, I wish we just had the one that IH used on their trucks. It would come out in front where the ones on the powerstrokes do. MUCH easier to reach.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines fine to reach never had an issue with it even witht he truck lifted
now why so many different tubes all ive seen have been mounted on valvecover and one tube as far as i could tell on turbo or non turbo 6.9 7.3 and f superduty

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
The one off of my 86 actually goes between the head and the manifold. There is a loop that bolts/holds it to the head.

SWS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice idea Mel but... If we used the front port then the oil pan would need to be reversed on the block. Our cross members wont allow for that. Funny how our oil pans can be turned around for the big dump truck aplications...:sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true. These motors are more versatile than we may think at times. I wonder how they are getting away with it on the PSD's? I would suppose it is just the angle and lenght of the tube. It's interesting how our present dip stick implimentation relies on one of the crank bearing caps to point the dipstick into the pan.

The early 6.9's had a single piece dip stick, which bolted to the exhaust manifold with a welded on tab. Anybody who has ever done a head gasket on one of these, knows how much of a royal PITA this item is. Later ones, had a two piece dip stick, so that you would not have to remove the bottom section that was so tightly pressed into the block. I think there may even be an O-ring in between them. I believe on the 7.3's is when they started fastening them to the valve cover with an elaborate bracket, rather than connecting them to the exhaust manifold. Perhaps they realized the dip sticks were getting burned in the middle, and this was how they solved that.

JPdrvinmylfawy

Reaction score
ok i finally got around to looking and i have the single tube style . can someone messure one for me so i can use a aftermarket one for now thanks again to everyone

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually your best way of measuring a new stick is to change the oil. run the motor. Let it sit for a few hours and then make a mark on the new stick. That way you will know where 10 quarts level is instead of trying to make sence of what you buy.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually your best way of measuring a new stick is to change the oil. run the motor. Let it sit for a few hours and then make a mark on the new stick. That way you will know where 10 quarts level is instead of trying to make sence of what you buy.

X2:sly

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I broke my dipstick this winter and got one from Ford. it was around 30 bucks. ive got a 1991 if you want me to go out and get you a part number.