New Mileage Record?!?!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I worked on a 1993 Crew Cab dually 7.3L N/A today.It needed a return line kit installed and glow plugs(YUCK AC DELCOs!).Well,I looked at the truck and figured hey,this thing has about 100-120K miles.....WRONG....Looked at the Odo and get this,338,000+ miles!Never been touched.Original Injectors,Pump,Return lines,Tranny(E4OD!).I couldn't believe it!O rings were dry and cracked,Lines were real hard.Everything still had the original grey paint so I know they ain't been touched!He just had the Glow plug system replaced not so long ago too(controller stuck closed and fried the old set and new set,plastic GPC cover melted!) so I think they may have been original also!Now it has a full set of Berus.2 brand new and 6 with a couple thousand on them thanks to white lightning.We wasn't going to replace the GPs just the lines thinking that would fix the starting problem so when we found the GPs bad we improvised.Oh,and talking with him,Make sure you guys check your Spare tires.His came loose a couple weeks ago and lifted the truck 2 feet off the ground.He still ain't found that spare.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Pretty impressive mileage.

Make sure you guys check your Spare tires.His came loose a couple weeks ago and lifted the truck 2 feet off the ground.He still ain't found that spare.

Hopefully not installed in somebodies windshield.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Roland_Jenkins said:
Pretty impressive mileage.

Hopefully not installed in somebodies windshield.

Nah,He said when he pryed his head off the steering wheel he saw it flying though the air in his Rear view.He is still looking for it.he knows about where it is but just too much brush to find it.Lucky this happened on a back road where he was only doing 30-40MPH and no traffic.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I read the title of this post, I thought it pertained to fuel mileage.
However, I like what is being said about spare tires. My neigbor has an E350 electrician's van and I get on his case when I see his spare swingin' around on that suspension cable underneath the van. Looks like an accident waiting to happen. I check mine fairly often. Nothin' worse than seeing a heavy tire and wheel bouncin' down the road into oncoming traffic.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Make sure you guys check your Spare tires...
he has 338k miles you say?
it can wait then - i figure i have another 90k before i have to worry about it :D

pretty cool though. thatsa lotsa miles on the OE fuel system.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Full Monte said:
Looks like an accident waiting to happen. I check mine fairly often. Nothin' worse than seeing a heavy tire and wheel bouncin' down the road into oncoming traffic.

Yeah, several years ago when I was "just a kid" I had a spare tire rack break and drop it and the spare from under an empty 42' semi-trailer at about 80 mph on this little pigtrail of southern Oklahoma road that I think was about 10' wide total....both lanes! I was meeting another semi, one of those GMC Astros cabovers, (one of those that was all windshield in the front end)

All Holy H**L broke loose. In trying to stop and miss this oncoming Astro that had a driver whose eyes were as big as washtubs, I took a split second glance in my mirrow. All I could see was a big cloud of dust and what appeared to be my semi trailer very high in the air.
After we both passed each other & stopped approx. 300 feet apart, this other driver kept pointing down across the pasture. I still didn't realize what had happened.

To shorten the story, this driver stated that my trailer bounced into the air at least 15' and when that spare finally came out from under the trailer it bounced approx. 100' straight up, came down and after several other hi speed bounces it rolled off thru the fence & down across the pasture.
While searching for it the rancher, who owed said pasture & saw the incident, stated the same thing....trailer bounced 15'-20', tire bounced 100'+, and when it went zipping very close past him at about a million MPH, he said he couldn't have gotten out of it's way if he had wanted to!

We found the errant spare tire stuck (wedged) in the ranchers metal corral.....that we estimated to be approx 1000' from where the incident happened, not from where I got stopped.

Most unexpected things can happen! Things that can kill! Even when a person trys to correct "accidents waiting to happen!"

Someday I'll tell 'ya about the set of semi trailer duals that passed me at over 80 MPH when the bearings went out.....

Vegas Max

Reaction score
A driver had a set of dual wheels come off his semi last week on 93/95 between Boulder City and Henderson. They bounced across the freeway onto a pickup truck going the other way. They flattened the p/u cab and the guy in it!

WILLD

Reaction score

Too late, already did it.

Hey Vegas Max. The same thing happened on I-15 last week out by Primm. Driver never even knew he lost them.