plumbtuf

Reaction score
Well since every village needs an idiot I thought That I would pester you guys.Love the site, it has been really heplful with my 1986 F250 XC C-6 4X4. when the truck sits for more than 2 hours or temp gets closer to 160 it will crank forever before it starts. is this air or ip? Also with truck parked on incline it takes foeever to get oil pressure to guage (mounted in pod on a pillar),but with nose down it picks up right away. Is this pick up tube cracked or bad oring @ pump. Be gentle this is my first time and first oilburner...

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
well hello idiot J/k we all do stupid things their for we have started this support group LOL I'm not sure how long it takes the IP to cool so it may be heat soaked still after 2 hours and the heat part goes along with it being the IP. You can pour water over the IP to see but I would use this as a last resort as a healthy IP does not like cold water poured over them. Have you had any surging that may indicate your air leak other wise I might suspect a bad lift pump letting it drain back to the tank. I don'yt have a clue about the oil issue and welcome.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to our support groupcookoo :D

I can't help on the IP but on the oiling system there is a gasket between the oil pump and the pick up tube that could be the culprit, can't rule out a cracked pick up tube out either.

Pulling the oil pan pump and tube is a real PITA job.

I recommend, if you havn't already, that you get the Haynes Techbook # 10330 diesel engine repair manual. This manual is usually in stock at any Advance auto parts store for $16.96 and worth every penny if you like to do things yourself. It covers the GM 5.7, 6.2 & 6.5 models and Ford 6.9, 7.3 IDI & 7.3 PSD engines.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Welcome, on the oil pressure problem, what oil do You use? what filter do You use in the engine? Mine did the same thing when it was leaning down hill but it all changed (so far) after I started using a different oil.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a oil pressure problem that scared me. It decided to bottom out at a warm idle, and barely come up at highway speeds. It was good when the truck was cold though.

Solution? I took the sender off, and cleaned the little ****** out with some brake clean, and she's been great since. My gauge holds solid on the first line past the "L" in "normal". Not bad for 400k ;)

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome, you gotta be around a bit longer to earn the position of village idiot. Jred is just about at that point with his jeep sillyness....

Anywoot, kick back and tell us more 'bout yerself. Kinda like yer local bar 'round here.

Adrianspeeder

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm suprised noone has not told you not to trust the factory gauges. They aren't calibrated and they lie as a result. The needle will read somewhere in "normal" if its working properly. Do yourself a favor, install a aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge and monitor it. If you aren't at a minimum of 35 psi at 2k rpm when the motor is warmed up, you have something to worry about. I've rarely seen the pickup tube loosen from the oil pumps on these motors over the years.

plumbtuf

Reaction score
I have installed an auto meter oil pressure guage and temp guage in an A pillar pod. I have about 45psi @ 55mph( no tach). Problem is when truck is parked on incline that oil pressure will not show until truck is level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online