New member w/ ford rollback car carrier

goober

Reaction score
But all the S42-ZF5 diesel trans have the 4:14 1st gear and 3.79 reverse which SUCK. They are entirely to HIGH

in a pick up yes it is to high ... my 89 superduty has 5:13 rear gears and a zf5 trans w the drive line parking brake ..... and i like the pull this truck has when loaded ... the gears allow us bigger weight trucks to move more i have had this truck at 26,000 lbs total weight truck and trailor and the gearing is good for the pulling ..... im gonna add a overdrive unit for a lil more top speed but i am now going to leave the 5:13 gears in it beacuse it will drag anything i want and then the doubble o/d will make the fuel millage go up and top speed will go up as well

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aww really? i dont want that granny first.

whoa whoa whoa! what is this!? a bait and switch? first your buying me lunch... now im buying you dinner!? haha.. i guess its worth it for some scrap metal ;-)
you're getting some heavy iron in return for food.;Sweet
i will be milling a few trucks next weekend. so don't dwaddle.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aww really? i dont want that granny first.

whoa whoa whoa! what is this!? a bait and switch? first your buying me lunch... now im buying you dinner!? haha.. i guess its worth it for some scrap metal ;-)
If you'd like, depending on when you go down to towcat's, I can go down there with my truck and you can see how my ZF behaves with 4.10's. Unfortunately, my days off are Mondays and Tuesdays (makes planning anything on the weekends a cast-iron PITA -cuss) and I work evenings the other days of the week...

you have a newer case on your trans. that plate was on the replacement case. the guts are the old case.
Ah, okay, didn't realize the case had been replaced at some point in its life...thanks ;Sweet

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
well i hope you dont mind if i drive down my 6.2 diesel. its my freeway flyer. 3.42s with 31x10.50 and a sm465. 2400rpm at 65. 2050 at 55

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
im gonna add a overdrive unit for a lil more top speed but i am now going to leave the 5:13 gears in it beacuse it will drag anything i want and then the doubble o/d will make the fuel millage go up and top speed will go up as well

does a double overdrive make the engine work too hard? doesnt the allison 6 speed have a double OD... 4th gen camaro/firechickens t56 has a double OD too?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I can tell you how the S42-ZF5 is w 4:10s.:puke: I wouldnt put one of those trans in my truck if it was free. Maybe in a grocery getter, it is fine, but in a TRUCK that isused as a TRUCK, they suck. Possibly in aF-superduty w 5:13s or 4:88 it would be better

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i hope you dont mind if i drive down my 6.2 diesel. its my freeway flyer. 3.42s with 31x10.50 and a sm465. 2400rpm at 65. 2050 at 55
Nothing wrong with that ;Sweet for that matter, my daily driver's a VW Jetta TDI...actually, my truck doesn't get driven all that much these days...so, when are you coming down? :sly

does a double overdrive make the engine work too hard? doesnt the allison 6 speed have a double OD... 4th gen camaro/firechickens t56 has a double OD too?
That's more a question of the rear end gearing than anything else. With that said, Gary (icanfixall) has double-OD (an E4OD with a GV) and 3.54 gears and cruises down the freeway just fine. IIRC his only complaint is that he doesn't have quite the low-end grunt that he would with 4.10's.

I'll be another experiment in that regard once I get my OD unit installed, although I have 4.10's, so my RPM's won't be quite as low as Gary's are...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i speak 6.2/6.5 fluently:D
check out this install.....
6.5 factory turbo plumbing in a C20 2wd pu.....
there's a a WG Banks turbo robbed off a 7.3 IDI providing the pressure to the 6.5:eek:;pcookoo:D
oh yea, you better bring a trailer for the rolling chassis.

Attachments

• SL376398.JPG
    SL376398.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 5
  • SL376397.JPG
    SL376397.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SL376709.JPG
    SL376709.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 4
  • SL377647.JPG
    SL377647.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 3

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
there's a a WG Banks turbo robbed off a 7.3 IDI providing the pressure to the 6.5:eek:;pcookoo:D

oh thats sweet... and a GMC! could you run the 6.5 turbo manifold with the factory AC?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score

ya i got a standard carson car hauler... whats the wheelbase on that big boy? my deck is only 17' or so

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that ;Sweet for that matter, my daily driver's a VW Jetta TDI...actually, my truck doesn't get driven all that much these days...so, when are you coming down? :sly

That's more a question of the rear end gearing than anything else. With that said, Gary (icanfixall) has double-OD (an E4OD with a GV) and 3.54 gears and cruises down the freeway just fine. IIRC his only complaint is that he doesn't have quite the low-end grunt that he would with 4.10's.

I'll be another experiment in that regard once I get my OD unit installed, although I have 4.10's, so my RPM's won't be quite as low as Gary's are...

not sure yet. havent been very busy but doing construction on my house. well you dont want to go too low. start lugging the thing.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i did the S10 ACbox conversion.:eek:

man i feel like such a lame. my banks 6.2 still hasnt ran since i pulled the engine out of my suburban.

thats a nice truck. ive been wanting to swap a 6.2/5 into a caddy or el camino. i love wierd diesel swaps

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man i feel like such a lame. my banks 6.2 still hasnt ran since i pulled the engine out of my suburban.

thats a nice truck. ive been wanting to swap a 6.2/5 into a caddy or el camino. i love wierd diesel swaps

I have the Banks kit on my Burb-o-matic. imho, it's a mixed blessing. one thing for sure is that my undercarriage will never rust from all the oil it pukes out:eek:-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I have the Banks kit on my Burb-o-matic. imho, it's a mixed blessing. one thing for sure is that my undercarriage will never rust from all the oil it pukes out:eek:-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss

ouch.. a banks issue or a "im too lazy to fix it" issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent