New member. Questions.

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my new Mahle pistons today!! .010 under. Also finally got my heads. The machine shop finally got my heads done. They installed all new exhaust guides, checked for cracks and ground valves and seats for $82. Good deal. The bad is when I got them home I noticed a groove in the combustion chamber area. The groove is where the fire ring is from a blown head gasket. Why would they do all that work and not check the surface. Run them or find new??

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like you need to find a machine shop that pays attention to details instead "JUST" trying to make a buck. $82 for replacing guides(ex) valve grind,clean and mag...THAT"S CHEAP!...VERY CHEAP!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How deep is the groove in the head? If its just a few thousands, then they can be decked back to a smooth surface. If, they aren't going to be out of spec (for minimum head thickness and vavle resess) after machining. Gary posted the specs on the heads on the previous page.

-The depth of the intake valve is to be recessed 0.042 to 0.054
-The depth of the exhaust valve is to be recessed 0.051 to 0.061
-The precup can be from +0.0025 to -0.0025 or you have a 0.005 thousands tollarence to get into.
-The deck thickness of the head is from 4.795 to 4.805 thick measured from the head to block mating surface up to the machined valve cover rail.

Heath

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my heads in to a different shop. They said the groove is .008 deep. They said they can mill the heads. Then they will resecess the valves in further. At least the exh. Said the other shop probably didn't say anything because they can't grind precups.