new ip... still won't start when hot

RockinB

Reaction score
ok. I figure air intrusion. No obvious leaks. IF it is air intrusion, why does it start after it has cooled down. An air bubble is an air bubble hot or cold, right? maybe? And I still don't know why the A/C compressor won't engage since ip install (no power to the plug, fuse is good #6 on ckt w/ tank selector which works). Ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill,
That's unusual for sure. That is typical of a bad or worn out IP.....not a new one. Air leaks tend to cause hard starting after the truck has sat for a period of time....not immediately after shutting it down......as it usually takes time for air to enter the system.

My guess would be that timing is playing some part here. The mark on the IP and the housing is just a starting point. More often, the IP will need to be timed after being replaced.

Worst of all would be a bad rebuild. How does it perform otherwise?

Hoepfully others will chime in with ideas as well.

Heath

RockinB

Reaction score
Seems to run fine after it starts. Before I did the ip it would start immediately cold and only with the water treatment when hot. Now, cold it turns over a couple times ~2-3 sec. before starting. Won't start hot at all now, although it did the first week after ~8-10sec. of cranking. I put a return line kit on ~15k ago. I have not had it timed because I haven't done the injectors yet. I just matched the marks. I guess I'll try to tweez the timing a bit to see if it helps. Funny thing, the ip I replaced was a reman.

Thanks,
Bill

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the key in the "run" position...confirm that the fuel shut off solenoid is opening by a solid "clicking" sound.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
ok thats great news, that means the ip you have is good. ill have to think about this one for a min...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The water treatment doesn't work on the new pump.

Thanks,

That's correct, assuming the worn parts were replaced. If it is a bad rebuild, it could still have the same problem. Unfortunately, testing it could risk ruining your warranty. Instead, try this. Next time you shut down, open the hood and put the strongest fan you can find and let it blow on the IP from the rear toward the front. That should keep the engine heat from heat soaking it. Wait 20 minutes and try and start it. If you've kept the heat off of it, it should start assuming that heatsoak IS the problem.

RockinB

Reaction score
Drove the truck home today temp was normal, shut it off, went for the fan as Mel suggested, got sidetracked and 30 minutes later, no fan and no start. At least it's consistent. So, I'm looking at the A/C and following the wiring and the ip wiring and I find an oval plug with a ~1" square w/ a gummy top (looks like a relay) against the water pump and it's hot. #1811164c2. The gizmo is cool now , I guess I'll try it.

BTW it's not a Pensacola pump, MWFI. I ordered a week before the Pensacola thread came up.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited: