New injectors

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth it?

This seller has new delphi for $202 shipped

and rebuilts for $139 shipped but doesnt list a brand or code.

Is it worth the extra for new?

Should I be concerned about codes since I am replacing all?

I am replacing since I have noticed a decline on my MPG's over the past months and haven't changed my driving habits, IP is newish, rebuilt factory unit about 35K ago, not sure how old the injectors are. Timing is good.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your mpg drop might be because of winter fuel. how long has it been droping for and what kind of mpg are you getting know

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using winter blend, Kero, or B100 might lower the fuel mileage 5-10%. If it is more than that, or if it was doing the same thing before winter blend, you should look into leaks, timing and the pump and injectors. At 35K miles the pump should be good, and I would assume it is unless it's weeping out the seals or causing you any problems. The injectors should be pop tested rather than outright replaced. Its possible to replace just the bad injector if there are only one or two bad ones. Its best to replace them as a set, but expensive(relatively), however that's what you should do if you find more than 2 bad injectors in the set. As far as the new versus rebuilds, the new delphis are the good ones. Personally I think I would spend the extra money for the new(not reman) and the installation kit. Just so you know what you have. having said that, I do not agree that rebuilt injectors can't be worthwhile to use. If the builder knew what he was doing its just fine. They may not last quite as long as brand new but should get you close. I got a rebuilt from NAPA a delphi BB and it tested good after the same driving for around 8,000 miles that took out my D-code stanadynes. Also it probably doesn't matter much what the letter code says on a rebuild as long as they all got the same treatment. Again it goes to do you trust the rebuilder...do you trust him to know that just because they will all fit and run in an IDI for best results you should run all the same injectors in a set?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the winter diesel is different? I used to regularly get 17mpg now I am down to 15. It sucks.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well some folks have gotten a long life out of a pump and injectors. I would test before replacement and only mess with anything if I was having some kind of problem. A drop of a MPG or two is pretty normal with winter blend or #1 diesel. Better Cetane rating but less BTU/Unit

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? You may or may not have winter blend. But if it is somewhere that sees 10*F or less on a semi consistent basis you can bet you do have it/ Aren't you in Washington? I don't know if they have winter fuel there or not. Glad we don't need it in FL

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am south of DC so we rarely see below 20F so i dunno. My truck hasn't had a water seperator since I got it, wont water wear the injectors over time if it is present? I might just wait until summer to do it and see if it goes back up.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh OK not sure if that area has winter fuel or not. No water separator is not good, but really shouldn't hurt anything unless you do get some water in the tanks that the filter doesn't settle out. I must admit I have been running with no sep for awhile and I did have to replace injectors, but I suspect the two are not related since I never saw any real significant amount of water in my fuel or stock filter. I have an inline filter which works out to be a low point in the system. It has had a drop or two at times but never much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online