New IDI owner

Jacob

Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker, first time owner of a 1986 F350 DRW Crew Cab 6.9 with a ATS turbo. I traded a lifted jeep comanche for it just past weekend. The guy i got it on trade from showed up an hour late with a burst radiator hose! hows that for a pucker factor? it drove fine 50 miles back to my house, and i had started it maybe 4 times and tooled around town in it just long enough to get the lower hose i was needing. I got it switched out and filled back up, and now it will just turn over and wont start! Im sure its something small that i missed putting back together or something. Just wondering my first places to check! Have fuel btw

also, the turbo has no filter on it, was wondering if i could just rig up a 6637 to work quick and dirty? thanks

this truck is super clean for what it is.
You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! ;Sweet

Did you ever hear the engine started when it was cold? If not, are the glow plugs in working order?

From your post, it sounds like the first time you attempted to start it cold was after replacing the radiator hose, so I would start with the glow plugs. Also, make sure all of the battery terminal connections are clean, and make sure the batteries are fully charged.

Hope that helps...good luck!

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say that you have fuel- did you take the filter off to make sure that you've got a full filter? Cracking open 1-2 injector lines is a good way to bleed air. I usually crank for a couple sessions if it doesn't start and check the filter again, it should be staying close to full. If not, could be a lift pump. Otherwise, injection pump may be wearing out and having a hard time building pressure. My truck ran fine once started, but was a PITA to get started.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome...

We dont know what all you did to fix blown hose but not much to actually fix.

I wonder if it overheated and softened the rings and now lacks comp...doubtfull would likely have seized if too hot.

Lots of no start threads to peruse...read throu some familiarize yourskef with what it could be and then work through those issues.

No power to fuel shut off solenoid
no glow plugs
weak IP and or injectorz
air intrusion in fuel system
Fuel filter plugged
fuel level too low
fuel select valve faulty or plugged
bad batteries and or cables
weak starter

Just to name a few...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
WElcome to the forum... I see you have a nice rig... But its parked way too close to that above ground gas meter. Might want to place something tall enough so you can easily see it. As already posted. You need to find out if the glow plugs work and if the filter has a full level of diesel in it. Not a good thing to drive any car or truck with a bad hose. Duct tape and leaving the cap loose can get to home safely. The no air filter has me worried too depending on how long the engine has sucked dirty air. The turbo blades do not like eating dirt or pieces of trash. They can suck a hand in when they are spinning way up there too.

Jacob

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone! i took two fresh off the charger batteries and managed to start it after about 20 seconds of cranking. started normal after that, and ran completely normal after 2 five minute and 20 minute periods where i turned it off and started it again. ill see how easy she starts tomorrow!
Ill run by that checklist next time i have an issue riot, and this forum will be my first place to read, and post from time to time!

This motor leaks quite a bit of oil from a mystery location, but im picking up a complete 6.9 IDI motor this friday to steal cores from so i can have a still running truck if i run into little things, or i might just rebuild it with a mild build and set it in when i get a dana 60 to start an eventual 4wd swap! already got the transfer case/tail housing and a few other misc parts.

ill post pics of my 6637 when i get it and rig it up.

For Sh*ts and giggles heres the PO's cold start video from February https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArB2T0DMJTI

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would still check all of your glow plugs...in that video the guy says it has been plugged in all night. I am not an expert but I don't thing that counts as a cold start:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well call me Bruce because thats NOT a cold start. As already posted. The owner tells us the engine have been plugged in over night. A cold start is just that. Cold engine and NOT PLUGGED IN... Now about the push button start and the " I just put in new glow plugs". Best find out what plugs were used and get the push button start fixed. BTW I looked closely at the floor of the drivers area. It looked like there was some snow or at least something white on the floor. Still looks like a nice rig.

gandalf

Reaction score
A word of warning about cranking that engine. If you're having trouble starting, crank it about 15 or 20 seconds, then let the starter cool for a couple minutes. Then crank again. Repeat that cooling process until the truck starts or the batteries wear down. Diesels are hard to crank because of the high compression. That starter has to work hard to overcome it, and consequently overheats (the starter does) if you crank too long. Overheating the starter will kill it pretty quickly.:mad:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A word of warning about cranking that engine. If you're having trouble starting, crank it about 15 or 20 seconds, then let the starter cool for a couple minutes. Then crank again. Repeat that cooling process until the truck starts or the batteries wear down. Diesels are hard to crank because of the high compression. That starter has to work hard to overcome it, and consequently overheats (the starter does) if you crank too long. Overheating the starter will kill it pretty quickly.:mad:

and while youre waiting for the starter to cool, go press your schrader valve and see if theres any air in it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Every idi starter is factory filled with smoke. Long cranking will allow this smoke to leak out and then you need a rebuilt starter that has new smoke in it....:D;Really:angel:
Sadly our idi starters will show down over time till they finally stop cranking and all this smoke leaks out of them. You may think your engine has caught fire because sometimes there is so much smoke coming out of the hood to fender seams. Most members here use the gear reduction starters because they spin the engine so fast you can't count the rpm. normally we don't see the slowing of the starter till its replaced. then it a WOW feeling.

Last edited: