New head gaskets worth it?

TurboDan

Reaction score
I have the cab off, engine is easily accessible, and I'm adding a Banks turbo. Engine didn't seem to have any problems previously, truck has around 250k miles on it.

I don't want to pull the heads off just to replace the head gaskets and open a can of worms. If I pull the heads I'll add studs, but again I don't want to open a can of worms (head is warped, etc). I've been reading stories about people having head work done on these engines and then something goes wrong a short time later.

Anyone have an opinion? Have you had good luck pulling heads to replace gaskets and putting them back on without having machine work done?

I already have the exhaust manifolds off, injector pump is also off.

Thanks,

Dan

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Have you tried a compression test? Are you ready to deal with new discoveries on head removal?

Maybe it's the age of the stuff I play with, but I'm increasingly less-inclined to open things up just-because. It seems to cost an awful lot in extras.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you’re there, I think you should do them. I always look at it like you’ll either open the can of worms now, or they’ll open themselves when you’re on your way to work or somewhere else important. But if you don’t decide to do the head gaskets it would honestly probably be fine. It’d just be extra protection especially since you’re adding a turbo.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Oh - what's the rad like? The lesson my buddy learned was the money he spent on the stereo should have gone into a rad replacement. Not only did he have to buy the rad, but he had two newly-cracked heads to replace also.

I always look at it like you’ll either open the can of worms now, or they’ll open themselves when you’re on your way to work or somewhere else important.

Its a very debatable topic. A weeping HG and noisy 5th gear were something I could easily work with to keep on trucking. A failed starter and seized alternator (separate occasions) stopped me cold.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh - what's the rad like? The lesson my buddy learned was the money he spent on the stereo should have gone into a rad replacement. Not only did he have to buy the rad, but he had two newly-cracked heads to replace also.

Its a very debatable topic. A weeping HG and noisy 5th gear were something I could easily work with to keep on trucking. A failed starter and seized alternator (separate occasions) stopped me cold.
For sure, but I just would rather prevent it while it’s the easiest than have to fix it at some point. Even though it would probably be fine anyways

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do it now just for the sake of studding it honestly. I'm going to do that with mine too. Better to do it now than regret it later.

TurboDan

Reaction score
Have you tried a compression test? Are you ready to deal with new discoveries on head removal?

Maybe it's the age of the stuff I play with, but I'm increasingly less-inclined to open things up just-because. It seems to cost an awful lot in extras.
I have not done a compression test. If this was a small block I’d pull them because I could buy new heads or find a bunch of shops I could trust to do decent work. With the idi, I’m not sure. I’m reading some horror stories about poor workmanship at the machine shop from various threads.

TurboDan

Reaction score

The radiator is brand new, never been installed. Everything peripheral on the engine is new or reman: starter (gear reduction), water pump (from Tasca ford), oil cooler (Tasca ford), alternator (Bosch), new power steering pump, new hydro boost, new clutch a year ago, new pedal assembly under the dash, new accelerator cable, new hood latch cable, new emergency brake cable, new wiper motor, new belt tensioner, new injectors, new ford glow plugs. Truck already had 6 new tires.

Coming soon are new fuel lines all the way back, rebuilt TTB up front, new front brakes. Truck has a ZF5.

a
Also going to throw in new carpet.

TurboDan

Reaction score

That’s what I’m afraid of…

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radiator is brand new, never been installed. Everything peripheral on the engine is new or reman: starter (gear reduction), water pump (from Tasca ford), oil cooler (Tasca ford), alternator (Bosch), new power steering pump, new hydro boost, new clutch a year ago, new pedal assembly under the dash, new accelerator cable, new hood latch cable, new emergency brake cable, new wiper motor, new belt tensioner, new injectors, new ford glow plugs. Truck already had 6 new tires.

Coming soon are new fuel lines all the way back, rebuilt TTB up front, new front brakes. Truck has a ZF5.

a
Also going to throw in new carpet.

I came here to say "leave it alone" or "ain't broke, don't fix it", or any of those expressions that could fit.

But man, that's a heck of a list of upgrades. With all that work done, plus a turbo going in, I think you'd be best off replacing them. You're this far in, you've come this far, just do it right, do it once.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I came here to say "leave it alone" or "ain't broke, don't fix it", or any of those expressions that could fit.

But man, that's a heck of a list of upgrades. With all that work done, plus a turbo going in, I think you'd be best off replacing them. You're this far in, you've come this far, just do it right, do it once.
X2

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull them, put on new valve springs, check guides, do studs . NOW is the time. If a guide goes bad down the road you will be pissed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online