new guy with turbo question

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm relatively new to the diesel world. In April I bought a new to me 1990 f250 4x4 with the ats 088 turbo in it. Last month to prepare it for the winter I payed a mechanic to change the glow plugs and glow plug relay. at this time his apprentice left a hose clamp in the bottom of the intake. It messed up the compressor wheel. So after doing s.ome research I decided to have the compressor housing machined so that a garrett gtx compressor wheel would work. I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this. And if not I would be happy to post any noticeable improvements by doing such a modd.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Typ4 whos name is Russ will be the person to answer that question. He does a fine job of rebuilding and upgradeing most any turbo.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
As I stated earlier.. And shortly he will be here to pay this some attention. Sorry I cannot help.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it works out let me kno I will be changing turbos but I would rebuild an upgrade the 088 just because I like it an like how simple it is an would be a great spare works best for towing but a nice kit.

Reaction score
Okay so I have evrything together and working. I was driving it up to Tue mtns today and seeing about 5psi of boost. I really thought I should see more. Also I was regularly hiring 1200 degrees showing on on ky autometer pryometer. I think that something isnt quite right. The mechanic that put the turbo back together said that he had the turbo balanced. It's got a real nice whistle. It still has the stock 3 inch exhaust. Should I change that out for a 4 inch. Would it help the egts and the boost? Haven't touched the ip because its still got someblack smoke while hiring the go pedal what do the experts think

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Cant tell you what my boost was (didnt have a gauge) but last time I went up to Leadville my EGTs easilly hit 1050-1100 come any uphill (was driving via EGT gauge but was mostly around 60-65) if its any help afterwards I got a boost gauge installed, seeing 5-7psi towing (7-8k lb box) and can hit 9 empty when EGTs arent limiting me. Getting a light puff of smoke from a stop but thats it (figuring I can keep the damn boost line on :mad: )

Reaction score
Well I only see 9 on flat ground heading out to byers on Friday. But I don't know what the egts were on the truck before I did the turbo mod. I did a 60-1 billet gtx compressor wheel. And a custom fowl induction. I was going to do the hypermax but decided to have one made out of metal. Looks pretty cool but egts are way up. I'm thinking about an intercooler or an exhaust. Maybe exhaust first

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
"It still has the stock 3 inch exhaust. Should I change that out for a 4 inch. Would it help the egts and the boost? "

Stock exhaust? meaning with factory muffler still under there? If so, I believe thats where I would start. Replace the muffler with straight pipe or, a low restrictive muffler that you can see through should make a big difference in dropping your EGT's. I may be wrong, but it seems like I remember my factory exhaust being 2 1/2" IIRC??

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
3" is common for a turbo up graded rig, that's what I have. ATS offered it as part of the turbo "package." Have you had your truck timed?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
If you find one local let me know (Im currently wondering if Performance Diesel in Parker can but Ill be honest and admit Ive never asked) :)

Worse case here in a month or 2 when race seasson ends and my finnances stabalize Ill look into getting a timing meter and you could probbly use it (figuring I can figure out how the heck to do it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online