new guy with turbo question

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
1-200 degrees around town on a good day (havnt taken it back up to the mountains and never towed without it) but I think a lot of that was the fact that my exhaust ended at the turbo previously so the engine bay (and intake air) would get VERY hot, basiclly was heat soaking the intake air raising EGTs. (after a moderate drive you literlly couldnt touch the air filter box or almost anything in/around the engine bay). Beyond adding the intercooler (should be next week or 2) think whats contributing to my EGTs is the questionable state of the fuel system after 225k miles (far as I know IP hasnt been changed, and has had 2 sets of questionable injectors in the last 125k)

Is there a diffrence between a good 3" and good 4" (figuring same flow in mufflers)? Probbly some but I think after 3" for our trucks/turbos its a game of diminishing returns, possible way to find out is measure back pressure and see what if any you have (less is better for us)

Rxracer

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity if you dont mind me asking how much did the turbo upgrade cost? i have a ats 088 kit on my 89 f350 CC 4x4 ZF and have never been happy with its performance.
Thanks
Rob

Reaction score
I'll be honest if I were to do it again I would just send it to Russ typ4 and ask for the gtx compressor wheel. He does a really good job with them. He knows more about these turbos then anyone I have talked to

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they didnt machine the comp housing perfectly, it wont make good boost, also, with 3 inch exhaust lose the muffler and try it, I have 4 inch and am going to take it off and try it, and you should turn up the fuel a little.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on everyhting Russ said! The additional fuel will help you spool the turbo a bit better to produce more boost...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Can you even do a GTX wheel? I mean they are designed for the Garrett GT turbo's. Did they say what the spec of it was? Garrett only offers a couple GTX turbo's.

Reaction score
The guy that put the turbo back together didn't balance the turbo. He didnt do it properly and now i have to shell out a grand to get it fixed. Next thing is to cut out the muffler and weld in a straight pipe

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These turbos MUST BE BALANCED....:mad: If they aren't they will destroy themselves. When they are spooled up they are spinning more than 130,000 rpm... Thats more than 2000 rpm per second.....:eek: So for every 2000th of a second you just did 1 rpm... Our engines don't spin past 3500 normally but some here had installed differant springs in the governor section of the pumps. Now they spin up at 4000+rpm... Thats a lot of weight moving around in the engine too. I'm betting our turbo rods weigh more than a top fuel engine too...:sly Russ is known for rebuilding turbos the right way too.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a 60-1 but those pretty grooves in a billet wheel are more for marketing than function, and if the housing wasnt perfectly machined to fit it, it will lose efficiency