new guy here

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
just was doing a 6.5 performance search and found your forum. I'm planning many more upgrades on my baby and this looks like a good place to get info and share my findings. so far I've had her for almost five years, bought her to tow my drag bike to the races I attend, had 28,000 when I picked her up and now she's got about 110,000 on the clock. so far I've had nothing go wrong exect PMD failures, got that fixed now with my own hand made cooler. made my own cold air kit and made my own exhaust after the flowmaster crossover and down pipe I expanded it to 3.5 inches, lost the cat and the muffler and used a tailpipe off a new duramax, yea, she's loud but not so bad all the way out the back, I plan on getting an upgraded computer and bigger injectors and a boost controller that looks better than my visegrip one!

Attachments

• DSC01169.JPG
    DSC01169.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC01170.JPG
    DSC01170.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01171.JPG
    DSC01171.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 21

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey!
thanks for stopping in and signing up! I hope this little corner of ours will be a refreshing break from other sites, we honestly don't have anything to get politcal here. Just a bunch of guys who want to breathe a little more oomph into a often maligned motor. ;Sweet I have had lots of reliable service from mime over the years, and hope to make the next project a little more interesting:D I'm getting the longblock back from the shop in a few weeks, so I will revive the corner yet again with my mad ramblingscookoo

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitro,
Don't forget to put in a signature. We all like to know what we are dealing with when you ask questions as well as what plans you have for the ride.
Welcome to the board, we love to have discussions, and provide good dialog on problems/suggestions.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are ya havin done to that long block towcat???? anythin interesting??
Nothing wild. Just a basic rebuild with the focus towards longevity and durability than big HP. It's going into a '83 light 3/4t with the only hop-up being a Banks turbo off a 6.9/7.3 IH IDI and the solid timing gear setup rather than the chain.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
let me get this strait, your putting a ford style turbo on yer chevy?, 6.2 or 6.5? what kind of boost and what compression? does the turbo just bolt up or is there some fabbing to do. I'm really curious so I hope you don't mind my persistance......

redhummer

Rick
Reaction score
Did you lose a PMD or just make the change to the external location/cooler because it is a good idea? The cooler looks great - did you really make it or get hold of something that was about the right size and worked?

redhummer

Rick
Reaction score
sorry - just re-read your original memo - how many PMDs did you lose? the original location is dumb. I plan to move mine soon, more as a preemptive move - also I have to add an extrernal additional cooling line also as a preemptive move to prevent #8 cylinder cracking.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
I went through about five of them! I made the cooler out of a hunk of 6061 aluminuim I had laying around, just put it on the ol bridgport and carved it out. never had a problem again.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let me get this strait, your putting a ford style turbo on yer chevy?, 6.2 or 6.5? what kind of boost and what compression? does the turbo just bolt up or is there some fabbing to do. I'm really curious so I hope you don't mind my persistance......
questions are never bad. makes things interesting in this very quiet corner in the basement. I'm using a wastegated banks turbo off a 7.3 ford. I'm not the first one to do this, the boys over at oliver diesel was the first to post the conversion. The Banks kit for the 6.2/6.5na is anemic at best, so these guys put in the Banks ford turbo. rough max boost is 15 lbs. I like running my turbos at 75% of total rated capacity so the turbo is not overstressed and working against itself. If I need more boost, I put in a bigger turbo. The other thing I am doing is I am bolting this turbo on a factory 6.5turbo plumbing. Again, I like keeping things "stealth", so the unknowing eye would not give the goings-on under the hood a second look. yes, there is some fab work involved. The factory upper intake plenum needs to be cut and shifted over 3/4" and rewelded. The downpipe will also be running outside of the frame since the 73-89 truck frames are narrower than the generation you have.
confused yet?:D