New fuel tanks and sending unit source found

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stumbled upon these folks, wanted to pass it on to everyone.

http://www.tanks-to-pans.com/site/823208/page/537216

Looks like they have the tanks we need, pricing looks not to bad and selection of sending units is awesome. ;Sweet

The even have 38 gallon rear tanks with hanging straps [listed as "not for diesel" however] Worth a phone call to find out the reason why. [Don't these people ever learn ya can't tell a redneck hillbilly "no" ?? :backoff ]

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing some samples from them. NOS, and alternate sources for parts is becoming the norm for our vehicles. I managed to get some OEM pivot bushings, but it was NOS from another Ford dealer. These parts are discontinued.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The even have 38 gallon rear tanks with hanging straps [listed as "not for diesel" however] Worth a phone call to find out the reason why. [Don't these people ever learn ya can't tell a redneck hillbilly "no" ?? :backoff ]
My guess is the 38 gallon tanks are made of galvanized steel, which is generally accepted as not being suitable for use with diesel fuel because IIRC the coating that makes it galvanized can break down in diesel and end up fouling up the fuel system.

I'm curious to see how durable the fuel sending units are...thank you for posting this ;Sweet

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to call them yet to talk with their reps about the 38 gallon tank they list. It's my guess also that it's galvanized steel.
Soon as I stop doing this four letter word thing [work] I'll try to call them. I'm on the left coast so will have to be tomorrow.

The site says everything they build is to OEM spec's including the fuel sending units... hmmmm. Talk is cheap...let's see.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just slippend in a phone call to them on lunch break. The 33 gallon tank is galvanized steel.. to bad, less than 90 bucks and can't use it. Drat !!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Just slippend in a phone call to them on lunch break. The 33 gallon tank is galvanized steel.. to bad, less than 90 bucks and can't use it. Drat !!

Of course you can use it, you just have to seal away the galvanizing from the fuel. This stuff is amazing- it has a 4 day cure time, but after that NUTHIN' affects it...

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
witch unit do i get for my 85 says 5.0 or 7.5 only

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting.
they need to have a delivery and return for our diesels.
says two out ports.works right?

on another note.you guys may be interested in this e-mail i received after asking for a rough price quote:

I have checked our inventory and am sorry to say that we do not have a unit for your Ford. The one thing I can offer is to rebuild your unit for you. No matter what the condition. Most units will come out someplace between $75.00 to $175.00 plus any parts that may be needed. Like a new float or strainer. Turn around time once your unit arrives is only 3-4 days.
The way it works is as follows, simply follow this link back to our website www.tristarrradiator.com . Once you are there click on the box just above the top tool bar that says, Work Order Form; Click Here. This will give you a form you can print out and send in with your unit. Simply fill in the information and ship to the address on the bottom of the form. If you would like, simply request an estimate on the special instructions line. I will look your unit over and give you a call with a price before starting any work.
Once completed we will give you a call for your credit card info. We take all cards except for American Express. Most units will be shipped back to you using USPS Priority Mail which take 2-3 days. Express (overnight) is avaliable if you would like.
I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to email me back, or just call at the number below. If by chance you get the answer phone just leave a message and we will call you back. We are always here and alway happy to help.

--
Thank You,
Dan OHora
That Fuel Sending Unit Guy!
1-(315)-712-0071 M-F 9am-5pm EST.
http://www.tristarrradiator.com/

i was just gearing up to send mine in (just rusted out tubes.the rest works flawless.)
i'll hang on until i read more opinions on these brand new ones.
so could i transfer my float over to this:
http://www.tanks-to-pans.com/site/823208/product/FG146A
and have the main body all new and the gauge etc work correctly? seems like its made just for the built in type pumps.hmm.im thinking these wont work for us.......?

if your looking for a 19 gal rear tank.get one that wont rust out on ya again guys.
i got this one.that's when i found my rear sending unit tubes where rusted..dangit.:D
anyway.it's a nice tank:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-96-Ford-Pickup-19-gal-rear-plastic-gas-fuel-tank-/390289078617

Last edited:

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Well, I contacted Tanks to Pans, and Spectrum, the manufacturer of the fuel sending units. They don't make one for the diesel. One was listed for the 87-89, Ford F-250, yet, no dice on the 7.3 diesel application. Dead end there. Nice tanks though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online