New Exhaust Opinions

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Asking for opinions on an online forum..............lol I am askin for TROUBLE...............

Seriously, my exhaust is literally falling off of my truck. It is the original system, if you can believe that except for the wire and old dog chain supporting it as the factory mounts let go long before i bought the truck.

I do not use the truck much and do not want to blow the whole wadd on a fancy schmancy stainless system.

I am also NOT a fan of smoke stacks.

What I* think* I want is 4" duals from downpipe back and exiting behind each rear wheel and turned down at a bit of an angle with stainless tips.

mild steel tubing, stainless mufflers, tips and band clamps.

Any idea of what this should cost??

Will this help her breathe any better?

Can this be done with one muffler or would two be better?

I DO NOT like drone!!

I also do not want pipework or muffler(s) blocking the spare, fuel tanks its if possible. I *think* I will have whoever does the work install as many bandclamps needed to be able to easily remove the exhaust for any service needed on the truck in the future.

Suggestions, comments and pictures welcome..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Installing dual 4 inch with muflers is way overkill. A proper down pipe connected to a single 4 inch is all you need. Even thats somewhat overkill if your not hauling hevay all the time. My system is a long piece of 4 inch straight pipe with no muffler. Very soft tones.... Till I get on it or haul heavy... Then any working engine will sound off telling you its working...

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am looking to change my whole exhaust out soon too i hope, tired of people thinking i have a 460.. i still have all stock also just w/o a muffler in the middle..i am debating the 3" or 4" full system as well.. i would think the 4" would allow for a deeper sound when under load...am i correct in this thought?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our truck 3in is plenty darrin as went through alot and said 3.5 has the best sound straight no mufflers an I hve it now an is not loud unless hauling or giving it to her. I will upgrade to 4 with my new turbo setup

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to go dual...do it right and go true dual. Your muffler shop can run pipe from each exhaust manifold and flat flange in pipe where needed to take out a section for working underneath whether to remove a tank, tranny or whatever.

I went with 2 1/2" all the way to the rear bumper...no mufflers...welded everywhere except where I wanted bolt up flat flanges to remove that section if needed. Exhaust is nice and mellow and really helps when towing...if you decide you need mufflers later on it is easy to "splice" into the system.

Cost...I paid $225.00 for the good stuff...but that's here in Texas...BTW...true duals and you only really need 2 1/2" pipe....anything larger is really a waste...now this system is for a 6.9 N/A....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don't understand is WHY you want to wast $$$$ and run dual from a down pipe off a turbo?

WHY the extra headache?

Why the extra expense?

A single 4" exhaust all the way to back of truck with a good 4" muffler is all you need...anything more...well...just take those funds and send them to me I'll me damn good use of them, and you will be happy knowing you have a solid exhaust and helped another OB menber...rofl!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
4" single factory exit with a muffler and it will be no louder than stock. that is exactly what i have. running duals you are almost certain to loose your spare underneath.

i got a diamond eye turbo back system shipped to my door for $300. stainless btw. i think you can get the same thing in aluminized for like $250. also the DE system has a crap ton of adjustment on the tail pipe exit location thanks to the two piece tail pipe.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i have the diamond eye kit for a OBS PSD on my truck. dual output. fit perfect, did not interfere with anything. i do not have a spare underneith but do have the rear tank in there. looks like it would fit well around a tire. i ordered a cat back system, came out to around 300 shipped. tips were extra. i also went mufflerless. you can ask some of the rally goers, as in jared(subway) or jason(freebird) as they have both rode in mine.

You must be registered for see images attach

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooooopppssss...I didn't see you had a turbo...I would go with something like 94IDITurbo7.3 has...anything else with that turbo really is not going to do you any good and is a waste of moola...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
also, honestly you can't due true duals on a turbo diesel and even if you do go with duals there is going to be zero performance/efficiency gain.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
if you have a good big truck parts supply like a Truck Pro, get loose 4" pipe pieces and bends to get it where you want and a 4" straight through big truck muffler, it should come in under $150 , will have no restriction and sound good. Only reason they go to 5" on buses is to be certain that absolutely zero exhaust gases can possibly get pressurized in the pipe under the extra long vehicle and find their way through a crack that might form over time up into the passenger compartment.
Any more than 4" is overkill for a pickup

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
IMO once your turbo'd theres no need for mufflers just change the tone based on pipe diamter, that said if you go true duals from the downpipe back you WILL interfer with the fuel tanks (my single 4" interfers with removal of rear fuel tank...) that said if you insist on going duals wait untill right before the axle to go dual and honestly Id try it straight piped before you add a muffler just have your shop make an easy removed section where you can put a muffler later. Just as an fyi the Diamond eye dual kit has a 500lb limit to how much weight you can put on/in the back of your truck (specificlly says 5th and bumper pull trailers with 500lb or higher tongue weight may damage truck or exhaust). Also if your just after a cheap exhaust the Diamond eye kits for a 94-97 power stroke will bolt up with minor downpipe mods.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a magnaflow 4 inch with 5 inch tip full stainless i traded for it on craigslist its off a ex so anything from 80 till at least 03 will work after dp