New build ideas

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been lurking around the web and found where people have put a mechanical pumps on a PS and made good power. (JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR). I am not looking to make a pulling truck or a dyno monster! Just a good reliable truck without all the electronics. I just replaced the IDM and a few injectors :eek: and my **** is not planning on a consistant basis again. I have no problem in making the necessary billet aluminum parts to mount an inline pump like they did on "Double overtime". I am just simply unlearned as far as what type of pump size as well as the type of injector. I am getting a new motor ready to put in soon and would like to do this to it.
I would like to be in the 400+ hp range. Since we have a 36' coach to pull.

Thanks for the input

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
There really aren't that many electronics on a 7.3 psd its pretty straight forward and there not that hard to work on, if your not looking for huge power then why use the huge power parts? the factory stuff has proven reliable over and over time after time, i have seen stock injectors go as high as 390,000 miles granted the truck only ran on about 5 cylinders but it still ran,

im all for doing things the simple way but honestly unless you want huge power the simple way is stay they the engine was designed these are great engines, and it will make 400+ hp for you with the supporting mods.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
To convert it over to mechanical fuel injection would require a laundry list of modifications, and a whole lot of money. Really the easiest and most cost efficient route would be to swap in a cummins, or DT- series mechanical engine.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
There really aren't that many electronics on a 7.3 psd its pretty straight forward and there not that hard to work on,
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

I have never had a truck or any other vehicle that I couldn't reasonably work on. My old truck was a non turbo IDI that got 17 mpg all the time. This one gets 12 on a good day. If I tow with it, 8. If a pump went out on the side of the road with the IDI I could have it running with a swap (granted a bit of work and tools too). With the PS it is nearly a 2K bill when ever it goes to the shop, and that is getting old fast.

If I bought the necessary parts and fabbed the rest on to a fresh motor I would be back to a reasonable project to work on. If there were sizable HP gains that would only be a bonus. Like I said I'm not looking for BIG numbers just a project that will be reliable and minimal electronics to go bad.

I am a prototype CNC machinist, so the trouble of making one off stuff is not a problem. I just need a hand with the pump and injector sizing.

As for a cummins swap, now THAT would be an expensive venture.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

I have never had a truck or any other vehicle that I couldn't reasonably work on. My old truck was a non turbo IDI that got 17 mpg all the time. This one gets 12 on a good day. If I tow with it, 8. If a pump went out on the side of the road with the IDI I could have it running with a swap (granted a bit of work and tools too). With the PS it is nearly a 2K bill when ever it goes to the shop, and that is getting old fast.

If I bought the necessary parts and fabbed the rest on to a fresh motor I would be back to a reasonable project to work on. If there were sizable HP gains that would only be a bonus. Like I said I'm not looking for BIG numbers just a project that will be reliable and minimal electronics to go bad.

I am a prototype CNC machinist, so the trouble of making one off stuff is not a problem. I just need a hand with the pump and injector sizing.

As for a cummins swap, now THAT would be an expensive venture.

Learn how to work on them they are not complicated, do some maintenece to your truck sounds like you have a problem, mine is a extended cab with 4:10 gears and a dually and i get 18+mpg always worst i have saw is 15, if you cant work on the 7.3 psd in stock form and have to send it to a shop and pay 2k bills then how will you be able to modify everything to make it mechanical,

maybe you need to just stick to idi only

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Learn how to work on them they are not complicated, do some maintenece to your truck sounds like you have a problem, mine is a extended cab with 4:10 gears and a dually and i get 18+mpg always worst i have saw is 15, if you cant work on the 7.3 psd in stock form and have to send it to a shop and pay 2k bills then how will you be able to modify everything to make it mechanical,

maybe you need to just stick to idi only

I do maintain it. It's just tired. It has 397K on the clicker and they were HARD miles from the looks of the things. The PO used it for a hotshot hauler. As for learning how to work on it, that is another thing. I don't want to HAVE to work on it all the time. A scanner to do contribution tests and other things are 3K and up plus IDM's, PCM's and CPS's and injectors to go wrong, I'm simply sick of working on a rolling computer. I just wanted info on stuff that I don't know. Besides it wasn't that long ago that I remember that the IDI forum were giving you the railing for feeling the need to wring the nuts off the rod caps of a motor because you felt it necessary to rev them to 4K+. I don't care what you do or how much you spend on your own projects. And likewise it is MY money that I'm spending. I am not doing it to be cool or to be original just to make it what I want.

Not yelling, Just sayin'

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your gonna turn a 96 PSD into a 400 HP IDI somehow. Since a PSD is electronic controlled direct injection. You suggested an inline IP, that would take changing the heads to install a different type of injector if even there is such a head to do that. Since the PSD injectors are fired by Hi pressure oil (an HPOP) and are computer controlled from a common rail all that crap would have to be removed. Aw foo, why am I wasting my time on this.
I have been lurking around the web and found where people have put a mechanical pumps on a PS and made good power.
Just go there like you searched for it, they got all the answers.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
With the amount of money that will be required to do the mechanical pump swap. It would be cheaper to swap a CumminGs and be done.:eek:

At 397k Specially hard miles just rebuild it. Cheaper in the long run.

Remember because you put a mechanical pump on a on an EFI engine it wont be any more reliable. It will still have quirks.;Really

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
So your gonna turn a 96 PSD into a 400 HP IDI somehow. Since a PSD is electronic controlled direct injection. You suggested an inline IP, that would take changing the heads to install a different type of injector if even there is such a head to do that. Since the PSD injectors are fired by Hi pressure oil (an HPOP) and are computer controlled from a common rail all that crap would have to be removed. Aw foo, why am I wasting my time on this.

Just go there like you searched for it, they got all the answers.

Sheeesh!! I was just asking a few simple questions. I didn't realize that this was going to get this kind of reaction, I do know one thing for certain, there are a lot of things I do not know. And there are a few thing I do, But when I ask for help with the things I don't know about I get told in so may words that I don't know anything. But here's what I DO KNOW.

This will be the LAST F$%N TIME I as ANY of you people anything, If you don't know about something, don't put your 2 cents in. As for the rest of the people on the forum that are well versed in the workings of diesels, thanks for your help. And as for the remainder....**** off!!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK......

The attitude in this thread needs to calm down! A question was asked, and it was answered. It may not have been the answer that was wanted. Some of the responses are bordering on an attack. Tone it down

The best answer to this question. You referenced the Mechanical PSD in the pulling truck Double Overtime. This is a one off build that was done in association with Hypermax. Hypoermax has a "kit" with all the necessary components needed to make the 7.3 PSD a mechanical injected PSD. The lat time I looked at thir website the kit was $17,000+ for the conversion. Take a look at the kit, and see what you could produce. The pump is going to be difficult and expensive to find. A 3208 pump, or one off the 9.0L IH engine may work. But, I do not see the conversion bieng a $2-3000 dollar conversion. For that you could have a good bit of a rebuild done on the 7.3 you currently, that should last another 400,000 miles. Or a cummis conversion. No one was trying to tell you that you don't know anything, they were just trying to point out the reality that it is not going to be a low dollar conversion.

snicklas
OB Moderator

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not in anyway trying to attack you.

The psd really is a simple motor.only thing a scanner is needed for is to run a cct or buzz test.most times you can find a shop that will do it for free or low cost.read read read the forums! You will learn everything you need to know so that the only reason to take it to a shop is for auto tranny repair, even that you can do yourself.

You said its got 400,000 miles on it and it was beat.first step replace the motor.its obviously a problem child if you keep having it worked on.400hp is very easy to obtain and be reliable with good fuel mileage.

For a more friendly psd forum check out our sister site www.superdutydiesel.com

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
A 3208 pump, or one off the 9.0L IH engine may work.
snicklas
OB Moderator

Thanks Snicklas

I was not wanting to get into a ******* match with anyone just get an answer to a question, You know how it is when you go to some place like Napa and ask these types if questions. They look at you like "Huh !?!" Sorry to you and the other people who do this site justice.

At this point it is still just an idea that I was kicking around. I enjoy my truck enough to put another motor in it, but I am tired of being at the whim of the next electrical part to fail. I would rather do some thinking and measuring of parts to see if it would be cost effective for me to do the project. As for the pump you had mentioned, that is well within budget. Like I had said before, I make lots of one off stuff for people so this would not, or should I say SHOULD not be that big of a task to fab parts. So the cost for me would only me parts and materials. I was thinking of using a pencil style like a BB out of the IDI. They are the right size for making an adapter sleeve to fit in the PS head. Can BB injectors be reflowed to handle the extra volume? These are the types of things I don't know about. Mounting a windshield wiper on a billy goats ass is what I do. (something my dad used to say)

The common rail can be disconnected and plugged with a banjo fitting block-off and the HP oil lines in the head can be capped too so I won't have to mess with the seals. For that matter the injector cups can be taken out all together, for this app all I would need is the copper seal at the bottom.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Injector cups must stay unless you like milkshake for oil

So if the HP oil lines in the head for triggering the injectors were no longer used there would still be a problem keeping oil out of the water. Thanks for the heads up. I still have to get my hands in the motor I have to dummy up on.

mojoman

Reaction score
I have a prob with this....why re-invent the wheel???...the 7.3 is a solid platform...what you propose is to make it something it was not intended to be...but I suppose it will be interesting to see where you land on this project...good luck!!!