New brake rotors too large (thick) ?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I am using Autozone calipers right now. They seem to work just fine. I did not paint them or anything and I've driven through one rain storm and they are rusty as all get out now. Make sure you put something on them if you do get them. I guess I'm going to have to take mine back off now and clean the rust off somehow and then paint them.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Those are the pads I chose. Wagner and Bendix still manufacture the stuff for our trucks right here. ;Sweet

Remember with Ceramic pads it is important they are "bedded" - even more so than organic or semi-metallic. You can go to the Wagner web site or Google the procedure, basically a repetitive run-in to get the pads working with the rotors. Good idea clean the glaze off new or turned rotors before you bed them as well.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder! My break-in procedure is pretty close to what is described:

1. 10 medium-speed stops (35 - 40mph) with moderate even pedal pressure.

2. Drive for 15 - 30 minutes to cool down the rotors before stopping the vehicle.

I usually do the break-in on a long road out of town, then head on out to run errands, go to work, whatever. Plenty of drive time to cool things down before I stop and park. This has worked well over the years for ceramic, organic and semi-metallic pads.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not run any fancy brake pads or shoes. The harder the brake material, the faster it wears the rotors / drums. Give me good old cheap organic brakes any day. No break in / bedding in, and my rotors and drums last longer, too.

Gigihurt

Reaction score
Its Hygroscopic.
hy·gro·scop·ic
ˌhīgrəˈskäpik/
adjective
adjective: hygroscopic

(of a substance) tending to absorb moisture from the air.