New addition to the stable

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I've had this truck since 2/22, but now getting around to posting info about it!

It's a 1985 Ford F350 XL Crew Cab 6.9 Diesel.

Gear Vendors Overdrive With Brain Box (Not sure why the over drive light, (green) never turns on. auto drive does though)

Mystery? Turbo

Shell

It's 1 month older then I am, which is amusing. 2/85 would have been more amusing!

Currently i'm trying to get some issues repaired with it.

Headlight Switch is touchy (won't turn on in cab lights unless you hold it to the far left)

Turn Signal only works in the down position, have to hold it up to have the other indicator work

Mystery? Turbo (not sure who made it, nothing obvious. ats perhaps?)

Haven't figured out if the white haze that comes and goes is bad fuel, a weak fuel pump, weak injectors/injection pump, or aliens. I do know it has fuel line leaks on the injectors, going to replace that soon. Doesn't appear to be coolant loss.

Anyway, here are some photos! I see there are some vegas members around, maybe some of you chime in soon? Any recommendations for a diesel shop? Mccandless mentioned J&S Diesel as who they use for injector testing and the like, not sure if they are good or not

I'm also curious if the previous owner is kicking around, (before the people I bought it from mind you) or is easily found. Curious if they have records, general info, things like that. Might be too far fetched, but you never know

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. We do have lots of members in the Vegas area. I believe they are having a get together meet in Henderson in a few weeks. That would be a great place to have members look over that nice rig you have. Knowing the miles on the engine helps but more info on how many miles are on the injection pump and injecters will help others telll you why the smoke happens. Usually its felt around here that 125,000 miles is what the fuel system gives us.. Some get more and some get less but thats how it works out. Before you buy anything please read the Hall of Shame forum. You don't need to be waisting money on those sellers. Also don't use Rotella oil or Fram oil filters. They have been found to be very poor quality. Most that try the Rotella find that it burns thru the engines very fast.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
As for teh white haze, first make sure you arent loosing any coolant, if thats good, got a nice big jug of fuel additive like Howes meaner power cleaner and and new fuel filter, change teh fuel filter and full it with the additive, and put some in the tank( always put 3 times the listed dose in for a pickup, listed dosage is for big trucks that flow fuel at a higher volume for the first dose, mix a bit stouter ) run the tank through and see if that changes anything.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come out to the get together for sure! Welcome to the site as well.

I do all my own work, so I can't really help with a shop suggestion. Let me know if you need anything

Ryan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The light issue is an easy fix. Just replace the switch. Its an easy job once you get the knob off the switch. The nice piece of the dash needs to be removed to reach the nut that holds the switch to the metal dash. Be sure to look closely at the switch and plug for melted parts. Lots of amps flow thru the switch. Thats why we do the head lite mods with the two relays and new wire harness. That too is a simple upgrade thats well worth the time..

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Come out to the get together for sure! Welcome to the site as well.

I do all my own work, so I can't really help with a shop suggestion. Let me know if you need anything

Ryan

I do all my work also. Just some stuff I know that I have to farm out, like injector testing. beginning to wonder if the injectors might be fine. no real power loss. ran 85+ with a lead footed driver (not me) who brought it up here from norco/corona. rolled coal pulling the final grade before stateline, then evened out again.

Do you think it's "normal" for the engine to puff black smoke when I stomp on it after the fast idle shuts off? it puffs out black smoke, then goes clear again when the pedal is released.

I've got a ton of diesel info in my head, but applying it is taking some time... At least helped someone today who has a <86 truck with a 12 valve cummins in it. If you are out there, hello again!

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I found a motorcraft switch to replace that. think that's a good idea? tired of the auto store garbage they sell, gets lamer and lamer as the years go on. unless there is a better brand for the headlight switch (i'll end up doing the mod at some point, gotta get the truck ready to pull a malibu down to anaheim for servicing first)

Reaction score
OEM is about all I would trust for electrical nonsense, and this is coming from someone who sold the parts store stuff for quite a few years!

Definitely look into the headlight relay harness upgrade as well. There are a few options (including making it yourself), but I used the kit from LMC Truck and was very happy with it.

Mike

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I'm going to start on the return lines soon since I got my kit from typ4. Anyone know what this rats nest is?

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1424/img2013050600440.jpg

It comes off the filter and runs there. If it means anything, my engine has a turbo. Maybe something relocated as a result?

This is close to the front of the engine, facing forward it's to the left of the injection pump.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start on the return lines soon since I got my kit from typ4. Anyone know what this rats nest is?

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1424/img2013050600440.jpg

It comes off the filter and runs there. If it means anything, my engine has a turbo. Maybe something relocated as a result?

This is close to the front of the engine, facing forward it's to the left of the injection pump.
it would help if you posted a wide shot for positional reference and a close shot (like the one you already have.
most often the return line at the back of the motor is moved to the middle or front to avoid getting cooked by the turbo.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My green od light didnt work on the dually, the bulb was burned out, remember, check the simple stuff first.LOL

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I did, will look harder. Looked like a weird led when I took it apart? Probably didn't pay close attention!

Took it apart a little more. No idea how to remove the assembly. It's got two metal prongs for the wires, and what looks like stuff that slides? Prying wants to break it. How do I open it to replace bulbs?

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Also found my build sheet! Nestled behind the portion of the bench seat that folds forward. Light rust, looks like it was put there yesterday otherwise ! Photos soon