New Addition & A Question

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming no news is BAD news in this case

Well I hope your wrong on that, however being an O/O for 30 years I have that "Murphy complex"

Good luck anyhow, ya never know.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
Boy did the last owners beat that truck..... and didnt do *** either. (torque arms, kingpins, and little things like lightbulbs)

The engine doesnt sound good either, I would bet that you're burning oil at a good rate too. Havent seen it firsthand, but Im guessing the rings are shot and you're going to need an in-frame. 50 psi oil pressure sounds low to me for full-load operation. But thats just an edumacated guess. ;) Have to see for myself before I can give you definite answers. Is this a CAT-ACERT engine??? another possibility might be that one or both of the turbos could be bad too. (longshot though)

Oil-burning cant be rectified with a diagnostic link like the fuel injectors can..... :Sly :Sly LOL

Yeah, I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with this guy & lost ALOT of respect for his attention to details. It's one thing to run a crappy looking truck because it's cheap to buy & easy to maintain, but to treat it like crap because it looks that way isn't right. The PO has a 20,000 sq. ft. office/ shop so there is no excuse for this. I expected a few things but not this. I still haven't heard back from the repair shop. I don't think they will find anything in the computer though. It isn't an ACERT but the turbo isn't doing much whistling either. My ACERT run oil pressure of 30psi @ idle & about 90psi @road speed, so 50 sounds way off the mark to me as well. I think if the prognosis is that bad, I'm going to tell the PO I want the $$$$ back or give me a different tractor. He's got freakin' 4 of them .

Maniac- my luck is so bad. That being said, I have no doubt its BAD news.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
apextrans said:
Maniac- my luck is so bad. That being said, I have no doubt its BAD news.

Dont mean to expound on your bad luck.... but that quote just made my night.... :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I do agree with you on if the BAD news comes up.... demand $$$$ back or swap tractors.... but how bad are the other 4 would be my next :confused:

I think I'd go with the $$$ back and go looking again. maybe find another Pete or a KW. ;Sweet sorry... I happen to be a KW man myself, specifically the W900L narrow hoods. :D

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Jarlaxle said:
Naah--he needs a nice Series 60-powered Freightliner Argosey. :)

LOL LOL
If he wants Series 60 Power.... Freightliner is the only way to go anymore. I think PACCAR (Pete, KW) and Navistar quit offering Detroit as an engine option in thier trucks.

The Argosy would make for a heck of a maneuverable rig though. ;Sweet

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
I saw an International COE with a 60 in it a few months ago...I seem to recall it was a Schneider truck.

Real trucks don't have hoods. :)

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
Dont mean to expound on your bad luck.... but that quote just made my night.... :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I do agree with you on if the BAD news comes up.... demand $$$$ back or swap tractors.... but how bad are the other 4 would be my next :confused:

I think I'd go with the $$$ back and go looking again. maybe find another Pete or a KW. ;Sweet sorry... I happen to be a KW man myself, specifically the W900L narrow hoods. :D

I'm not kidding, my luck is that bad. Someone must not have liked what I typed 'cause it's gone but I'm guessing you saw it beforehand. :D Well, this ain't the Refinery, so I should've known better.

As I mentioned before, the PO is somewhat of a friend (although I'm seriously re-considering that now) & I know the guy that drove the truck I bought & he told me it ran better than the other 4, so I chose that one. Never got to take it far on the test run,but it seemed ok. Knowing what I do now, last truck the PO pulled off the road would be my first choice. It was parked about 3.5 weeks ago when the PO's new truck came in. 2 of the other 3 have had some motor work done but were in very poor shape otherwise. The 4th is a ****, not worth even considering. Obviously if he is willing to swap, I will take a more involved test run before beating him silly. I didn't get a look at the first truck I mentioned above when I looked at mine the first time because it was always out in the buckeye & west. I'm assuming it runs pretty well. The driver didn't want to give it up, even for a new truck. That should have told me something right there I guess. The trailer with that unit was in a bit rougher shape than mine. Been railed & welded on quite a bit. That is the one bright spot though. My trailer is ready to go, aside from some personal preference modification I need to make.

Even if I got the $$$$, what I have isn't enough to step into the Pete catagory. I love KW's but they sit too high to put a rack over the cab & be able to haul a truck/ SUV in that spot. That can make or break my loads. I've done more than my fair share of whining about the way my Pete runs with the ACERT in it, but Peterbilt really is an exceptional carhauler right from the factory. I spent 5000.00 to lower my VNL Volvo down to the height of my Pete & it still wasn't as functional as the Pete is. The slope of the Pete cab & sleeper is ideal for what I do. The Volvo was flat across the top (because it was chopped) which had it's advantages, but you need the slope to really haul fullsize trucks up there. An Argosey would be out of the question. And, my Volvo had a 430HP Detroit Series 60 in it. Not a damn bit of trouble from that motor except for spitting the turbo @130,000 miles (under warrenty). Truck ran circles around everything. I wish I had never let it go. Live & learn I guess. :confused:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Maybe my luck is changing. Talked to the shop this morning & the ECM has codes in it. They say they want to clear them 1 at a time to be sure they don't miss anything. First code is "oil pressure sending unit not responding" That would explain the 50psi constant I guess & that did throw the motor into a de-rated operation mode. Could have something to do with the minimal turbo action. Not out of the woods yet, but things are looking up.

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found THIS on ebay, don't know if it will work for you.

There was a Pete on there a few weeks ago, don't know what happened to it.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I appreciate you looking. They are both nice trucks, but they are "west Coast" trucks. By that I mean they are both sitting on tall chassis', which is fine for the west coast because most all of the overpasses out there are above 16 feet. Overpasses around here are sometimes lower that 13'10". It's a shame, they are both in great shape.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scott-
I wasn't looking at how tall they were. I was looking at the ground clearence of the trailer and started to drool. I pulled many a cotrell off moderate driveways. drivers always thought they could power through the rise and then get high-centered. :eek: :D

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I've come close a more than a few times. Now I spec my trucks with an overlift system for the truck & trailer which will raise both pieces 7" above normal ride height. I've seen a fella tear the stinger fifth wheel OFF the truck trying to power thru a low spot. I have a picture somewhere of a trailer someone tried to power thru a high spot with. In the picture the trailer wheels are off the ground.....even with the huge bend in the middle of the bottom rails. BIG recovery money if you can get 'em moving without destroying them.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Well here's the offical diagnosis with regard to the motor:

The thermostat is stuck @140* when it should be 190* Won't reach operating temp.

The boost sensor for the turbo had been replaced.....with the incorrect sensor. Wasn't reading at all.

Oil Sending unit was just unhooked. No problem there otherwise.

And the most significant problem is the turbo is shot & leaking oil. This explains the smoking (to a degree). The impellar shaft is so worn, the fins are hitting the housing at times.

No guarantee this will cure all the smoking with that many miles on the ticker, but the shop feels repairing these items should make it run very well...for it's age. May be able to avoid the inframe for a while if I'm nice to it. It needs some other things to pass MD state & DOT inspections. Tires, brakes, blah blah blah.

This is getting expensive :frustrate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online