never had this prob, with my ford...any ideas?

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Y' all have always been a huge help in the past:hail , and since I still own an IDI i figured I'd see if you have any ideas...

I have an 82 K20 with a 6.2 th400 4.10 gears and 37 inch tires. I have run this setup for over a month and had no problems until now, Last week I went to the mountains and got my truck buried in about 3 ft of snow up right near loveland pass CO, ( alt. 12,000 ft.) I had to leave it over night and we finished the recovery the next day, but while attempting to start the truck, it wouldnt fire. The temp probably dropped to -10 or so over night up there, and I was running B20 BIODISEL . After about 5 or 6 failed attempts I had my buddy run into town and get some anti-gel. After a couple battery charges and some more cranking she was running. Since this trip i have noticed that when I travel at freeway speeds after about 30 mins or so the truck begins to sputter and blow white smoke when I apply more than half throttle or so. I thought that maybe the electric lift pump was the cause, but I changed it and after 30-40 mins of freeway driving the problem was back. The slow speed running hasn't changed ( although it died once idleing, which isnt usual) I was wondering what could cause this since the truck runs perfect for a while, can it be related to the geled fuel, even though that was 4 or 5 tanks ago? Please let me know any ideas and I'll be happy to provide any more info...Thanks!!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head - maybe the gelled fuel collapsed the fuel filter media.

Your truck probably has that funky fuel filter on the firewall.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
couldn't say for certain, as I don't deal with cold temps.... but really cold fuel is alot like running WVO which I do have experience with.

If the fuel is thick (like b20 @ -10) you can create air leaks really easily.
if the filter is clogged, you can make a pump really unhappy by running with a major fuel restriction.

if it was me, I'd make sure the electric pump still works. After that I'd mount a pressure/vaccum gauge to the filterbase, mount it in the truck... it's a nifty thing to have (mines stuffed in the ashtray, i check it whenever).

I carry an extra filter with a jug of powerservice. If I'm a moron (often am) and clog a filter I can always pop on a new filter with powerservice in it. Fires up everytime.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You didn't say if you changed the fuel filter. As posted above I would change the fuel filter. It sounds to me like your not getting enough fuel and its starving for fuel.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if it was me, I'd make sure the electric pump still works. After that I'd mount a pressure/vaccum gauge to the filterbase, mount it in the truck... it's a nifty thing to have (mines stuffed in the ashtray, i check it whenever).
QUOTE]

I have often thought about adding a fuel pressure gage and think it would be vary handy but i have heard that if it is a oil type gage with a tube you can get into trouble. basically they dont want any fuel in the passenger compartment. :rolleyes: there is where i think a electric sending unit would be superior.

i will admit to doing this though temporarely becuase of intermitant fueling problems that cant be re-created reving in a driveway.

but i agree with the above, sounds like you have a fuel starving problem where the system isent keeping up with the constant higher RPM's while on the highway. a weakened system will have a better time at lower RPM's like city where you only really rev the engine a little.....usually:D

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
well a mech pressure/vac gauge is like $15-$25
an electric one is like $175.

do what you see fit.
I've had a lil pressure gauge tucked under the wipers for a test drive :)

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]

I have often thought about adding a fuel pressure gage and think it would be vary handy but i have heard that if it is a oil type gage with a tube you can get into trouble. basically they dont want any fuel in the passenger compartment. :rolleyes: there is where i think a electric sending unit would be superior.

I can see a gasoline line running into the passenger compartment being a problem. However diesel fuel is pretty benign. Gasoline will ignite from a spark, diesel fuel would require an actual continuous flame to ignite.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would not run any fuel into the passenger compartment! I also think you can buy an electrical one for far less than $175 as I have three digital gauges in my truck that all together, sending units and all didn't cost that much!!! Here is a Stewart Warner from Summit Racing for less than $80 and when I did a search, there were like 15 pages of results, you can look through them. I did a search for "Electric Fuel Pressure Gauge" and you can do whatever, there will be no fluids in my cab, even oil as I had a fire once in a race car from that started from the liquid in the capillary line on a mechical water temp gauge, it looked like a little butane torch, so I don't run any mechanicals.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I can see why you didn't post this in the appropriate forum. Not much activity down there in 6.2/5 land. How many miles are on the pump?

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Im not sure how many miles are on the IP, although I have a spare in the garage:thumbsup: . The lift pump I replaced to see if it would solve the problem, it didn't. Thanks so far, I think I need to start by doing both filters, which will be after I find some money...

i figured y'all would appreciate some pics of the stuck and recovery...
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Che*y wasn't stuck!! It was committing suicide....

I can't talk, I have an 88 GMC 6.2L dually 4x4. Not that it has moved in 5 years but my name is on the title. I pulled the starter and it took me 4 years to find the right replacement solenoid. Now I can't bring myself to crawl under the darn rusty truck to put the starter back in.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
The Che*y wasn't stuck!! It was committing suicide....

I can't talk, I have an 88 GMC 6.2L dually 4x4. Not that it has moved in 5 years but my name is on the title. I pulled the starter and it took me 4 years to find the right replacement solenoid. Now I can't bring myself to crawl under the darn rusty truck to put the starter back in.

Ill take it off your hands...:thumbsup:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were close I'd tell you to come get it. I don't know what I was thinking buying a GM work truck. Nothing wrong with GM, but it's just not me!