Need some ideas

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Well, I went outside and ran a jumper from the the battery to the selonoid. It did click several times, but got louder after about 3 or 4. I think I knocked it loose because after about 10 sec of cranking, it sprung to life. With that, it runs, but at no throttle, it dies. I think I need to advance it and put in the new fast idle selonoid. I KNOW it is bad, and I have a spare that does work.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
That was yesterday...for some reason, it is slow to fire today...again. I am going to throw some of the older ones on the pop tester today and swap out 4. Then, we will see.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Two seemed to be okay. They have a stream about 100-150psi short of where they pop if you pump it slow. Been a long time and I can not remember if this is normal or not. Got one that is screwed, and one that pops at 1500. Need to do two more I guess.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So I decided to get off my butt and start pulling some hard time with this stuff. I pulled every injector out HOPING that I had one that leaked. No such luck. I had two of them that were REALLY LOW, like less than 1400 psi and were droopy there. I added the shimms to make it better and it ran soooo smoothly that I was impressed.

I then parked it nose up (on some of my old wheels) and hoped either the nose up or the injectors being fixed is going to make this better. If not, I am at a loss. I will have to try and find the clear hose that icanfixstuff was telling me about and hook it up. I thought for one second I had it when I pulled it and there was smoke coming out of one of the holes...It was one of the low pressure ones.

The other IP starts and runs smoother, but this one starts faster. Since winter is coming, I will take the worse runner for the better starter. I have to send one to Mel next year so the better runner (was off of a turbo engine) will also be able to move more fuel.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Nope. I think this pump has a small leak too. I am only going to do one more thing. I plan on clamping off the line at the pump. If it starts tomorrow, that means there is a leak but there is not reason for there not to be some sort of obvious leak.

SWS

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok just throwing it out there, and there are folks that know more than me but my gut would say this might be a lift pump problem (with a small air leak). By my line of thinking the IP pump isn't pulling enough when just rotating becasue of the starter. she needs the ether to get rotating enough to get the fuel sucked into the IP becaue there is a smallish air gap. It has been my experience that a very small air leak is mitigated by the action of the lift pump, but without it air fills the line and the IP can't process the bubble to pull in the fuel.

i would test the lift pump to see if it is working properly. i.e. disconnect fuel line from IP and watch for spraying fuel when cranking. just my .02

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Its electric. Its dry. I know its pumping because of the filter head bleeding air when I push the schrader valve. My lines are dry, the caps are dry, it does not appear that any of my injectors are leaking, I am down to the IP....again.

SWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight