Need Owners Manual Fluid Specs for 1990 F350 7.3 IDI

joetennistreecare

Reaction score
If you have a diesel supplement owners manual for 1990 F350 7.3 IDI can you please tell me the amount and type of oil and atf required? Also would like to know the capactity for coolant if it's in there. Thanks.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Coolant capacity is ~8 gallons....

Which Transmission? C-6 or E4OD (3 speed or 4 speed Overdrive)

If it's a C-6, 12 quarts if completely empty. Looks like you can use Type F or Dextron/Mercon - DO NOT use Mercon V - From this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?24928-C6-Trasmission-Fluid-Capacity

If it's an E4OD, 16.2 quarts (if 4x4 E4OD), 2wd uses less. Dextron/Mercon - DO NOT use Mercon V - From this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?40959-Fluid-change-volumes-recommendations-please

joetennistreecare

Reaction score
Glad you posted that because the Ford dealer told me to use Mercon V. That might be whats in there now. Just bought the truck. I think the trans is 4 speed with overdrive, I'll figure it out. Thanks

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil capacity is 10 quarts if you are running the stock oil filter. Most of us now run the Motorcraft FL-1995 oil filter that is made for the 7.3L Powerstroke engine. If you use that filter, you can run 11 quarts of oil plus that filter actually filters the oil better than the stock filter did.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant capacity is ~8 gallons....

Which Transmission? C-6 or E4OD (3 speed or 4 speed Overdrive)

If it's a C-6, 12 quarts if completely empty. Looks like you can use Type F or Dextron/Mercon - DO NOT use Mercon V - From this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?24928-C6-Trasmission-Fluid-Capacity

If it's an E4OD, 16.2 quarts (if 4x4 E4OD), 2wd uses less. Dextron/Mercon - DO NOT use Mercon V - From this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?40959-Fluid-change-volumes-recommendations-please
Why not use mercon v, looks like trackspeeder said it was fine?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you posted that because the Ford dealer told me to use Mercon V. That might be whats in there now. Just bought the truck. I think the trans is 4 speed with overdrive, I'll figure it out. Thanks

I stand corrected.... according to trackspeeder in THIS thread, you can use either Dextron/Mercon or Mercon V....... trackspeeder is one of the fellas on here that really know the E4OD/4R100 in these trucks..... Mercon V is easier to find now.... and is what is used in Ford's modern automatics also... (It's what the 5R110 TorqShift in my 6.0 uses.......)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
This was a tsb, not sure if it helps or not.
"Mercon V Use in Mercon Transmissions:
Effective 6-29-4, Ford is discontinuing Mercon ATF licensing and manufacturing. Mercon V is now approved for use in all transmissions specifying Mercon. This includes both the E4OD and 4R100 automatics and the ZF six-speed manual, as well as the transfer cases. Once exsisting stocks of Mercon is depleted it will no longer be available. Transmissions that specify Mercon V should still use only that fluid. The ZF five-speed will still use synthetic Mercon. TSB 06-14-4."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online