Need new IP..do I use turbo or non turbo IP and injectors?

ve7khz

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Well, the IP is toast. It needs a steady diet of water to start and I can't wait any longer to get it fixed. I need to know your recommendation for which injection pump and injectors to go with. Here is what I have.

It's a 1993 7.3L 185 HP non turbo engine, which has had a Banks Sidewinder turbo added about 1996. It has 345,000 KM on it and has run perfectly and strong up to now. The turbo maxes out at 9 PSI and I have a Pyrometer and keep it below 1050F. The tranny is a 1996 E4OD all rebuilt and works 100% perfectly. Hasn't missed a beat in 2 years now.

So I went into my local, friendly IH dealership and they said there are numerous choices of IP's and injectors to choose from. The pump currently on my engine is a Stanadyne DB2 831 5013J (185 HP non turbo A/T)

So, do I go with an IP made for a turbo application, as well as injectors? Or should I replace the original pump with the exact same one? Same with the injectors? The non turbo injectors are $27 and the turbos are $46 CDN. Not that it will make any difference in the long run. I just want to do the right thing. I don't drive the truck hard, but I do tow trailers, and watch the gauges like a hawk.

What are the differences between the turbo and non turbo IP and injectors?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers

Paul

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't think you'll really see much difference with the "G" code turbo injectors and the factory turbo cal pump. Probably I would just get a set of new injectors that matched probably either "D" or "BB" code depending on brand, and a fresh stock pump especially if you're happy with how the truck runs now. If you want to get a pump to flow more fuel and some matched injectors, you could talk to these guys www.dps-performance.com but you will spend more money on it and since its a US company the purchase could be subject to significant taces and import duties from what I hear. Or you could go to a good local injection shop(probably not IH) and ask them to build you a pump that flows a lot of fuel and adjust the delivery curve. It sounds like for your uses the stock pump and injs. might be just fine, and even at that I'd bet you'd see a difference with that many miles on a fuel system,
J.D.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
After I had installed the turbo on The E I had the same questions you did so I asked my local diesel shop (pump rebuilder) and he said that there isn't enough difference to swap to a "turbo pump" because he said that the differenece between a turbo and non turbo pump was how he calibrated it (fuel setting) so he sat up my pump maxed before he sent it home with me, because he knew that I would do it before it was installed so he might as well do it. I asked about the difference in the injectors and he said that again it won't make a difference.

So going by his explainantion just get what ever pump and crank the snot out of the fuel screw and enjoy. I know I was happy with the pump I got from him which was a non turbo pump model number.

ve7khz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Okay, as the pumps have to be brought into the local branch, I need to know a few things before I order it. I have read about cranking up the fuel screw both internally and on the rear of the pump externally. I know all pumps have the internal screw but I thought I read somewhere where only the turbo pumps have the external screw on the back side of the pump, the screw that has a lock nut and is pointing up at a 45 degree angle from the rear of the pump.

Could someone please confirm this today as I would like to order the pump while I am in town. My current pump is a DB2 831 5013J.

cheers for now

Paul

SKimballC

Reaction score
Si. You are correct aboot the turbo pump. If you can get one without messing up your core or whatever, go for it. Having an extra fuel screw to **** around with is always fun. I like my turbo pump more than a little. I think they are the 5069 which came on automatics and the 5070 from the manual trannies. The one I got is a 5069 but without the junk on the side for that auto its the same.