Need lessons on how to talk 'machine shop'.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its the higher pressure valve springs that we researched out and also was recommanded for the justins cam.

I am pretty sure thats the number.

I just wanted you guys to know that the research was actualy done and posted/confirmed by the justins. Nobody recommended those springs to them, just for the record. They did all that themselves when nobody thought it could be done. They put in the time for it and nobody recommended it cus not one person other than them thought it could be done. Just wanted you all to know that.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I just wanted you guys to know that the research was actualy done and posted/confirmed by the justins. Nobody recommended those springs to them, just for the record. They did all that themselves when nobody thought it could be done. They put in the time for it and nobody recommended it cus not one person other than them thought it could be done. Just wanted you all to know that.

There was talk about them before the Justins installed them IIRC.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well it just so happens that I put them in mine 6 yrs ago so not that it matters but I do have a little experience.

Oh mine were elgin brand springs for a buick just in case anyone wondered.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Figures Russ did it LOL

Way ahead of your time when you threw that thing together huh.

But besides all that we all now know they work, and are defiantly cheap enough to consider when the heads are off at the machine shop.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ, I am by no means taking away from your experience but the first time I had ever heard of those being run was when they did it. I didn't know you had them cus I never heard you never mention it. My main point was that nobody recommended those springs to the justin, it was their own research that led them to run those springs.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no worries they did just waht I did found a spring in a catalog that fit the bill. I have a build sheet somewhere with all the part numbers ,but god only knows where.

and comps are very good AND easy to find, mine not so mucch.

we just gotta keep these old girls alive.

there is also some other numbers that work it just so happens the 910 works, and has a bit higher pressure than the ones I used.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it just so happens that I put them in mine 6 yrs ago so not that it matters but I do have a little experience.

Oh mine were elgin brand springs for a buick just in case anyone wondered.

Oh I thought you meant that you had the 910s. Thank you for the clarification.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I thought you meant that you had the 910s. Thank you for the clarification.

and I dont see what difference it makes, they need more spring for the high boost . I built my engine 6 years ago when there were no easily sourced good parts for these.
Yeah I did leave that part out, but these great meds for my back aare really good and im stickin to that story.:D:D
they are the exact same dimension but not quite as stiff.

I will put them in every one I rebuild because these are a weak point in these engines, they run so long they fatigue and loose the keepers.

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Well, it turns out that there is a "diesel" premium for machine work around here. The shop I talked to told me $45 each for head resurfacing plus $20 to clean them originally, or $130 total. Now that its a diesel head they want $300 and that doesn't include any teardown.

Gotta love it. :mad:

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you talk valve springs, you need to be aware of several things. Install hight and coil bind are verry important in a high lift system. The IDI is not a high lift engine so spring rate is more important. The stock springs are about 85lbs seat pressure closed and the 910 is rated a 92lbs Now the closed pressure can be ajusted by the installed Hight. but you can only shim so far or you risk coil bind. Knowing the range of opperation of your valve train (the valve lift) you can adjust the shims to get the closed pressure you want and the open pressure you need to keep the valves from floating. The spring rate per inch is what changes the open pressure. The comp 910 spring is a good upgrade from stock, You can install them in the IDI without checking anything and they will be fine. The stock install hight is right in the sweet spot on the 910's range. The PSD guys like to shim them to 1.70 when they run over 50 psi boost. The 910 springs can handle .500 lift when installed at 1.85 giving a 92lb closed and 300lbs open at 1.35. The Typ4 cam lift is .392 (from my specs given to me by Russ) so we can shim up the springs to increase pressure closed and still be safe. It is posible to calculate open pressure if you use some math. Its better to use a spring machine to see the rate. I have done some looking and found one other spring that is close to the 910 its the comp 926 its 108lbs at 1.80 and 317lbs at 1.30 the 926 has an OD of 1.475 (The stock spring is 1.40 OD) and a rate of 418lbs per inch. I dont think it is needed because its not a big enuff increase, I was thinkin about using them but have changed my mind I will be using the 910's instead. I will be shimming to about 1.80 and using a j2 cam. Just thought I would put my .02 in :D